Friday, June 29, 2012

Praying Desperate Prayers

Hear my prayer, Lord; listen to my cry for mercy. When I am in distress, I call to you, because you answer me. (Psalm 86:6, 7 NIV) I remember a time in the early part of my ministry where I was desperate for God to touch the church that I was pastoring. The church had been in existence for years but had never had a major breakthrough. I was young, it was my first church and I didn't know what to do. I had grown up in a growing and thriving church and was not used to being in a dead, non-growing enviornment. I preached my heart out, visited the people, encouraged them and everything stayed the same. After about a year I found myself in deep prayer over the church and the people. I remember walking up the stairs from the basement to the church sanctuary and couldn't go any further for the desperation I felt and burden I felt. I knelt on those stairs, prayed and prayed, cried and cried. I called out to God to bring breakthrough to that little country church. When the burden finally lifted off my shoulders I got up and went about my business. I let go of my ego and put the matter in the Lord's hands. I remained faithful and just watched as God slowly brought in a harvest that has continued to this day in that church. Today, that church is one of the largest in that community and has a deep affect to many people's lives. I look back now at a moment when I was willing to pray a desperate prayer. I look back and say, "God never fails His kids and He always hears our prayers." May I encourage you today to pray desperate prayers to the God who loves you and wants to do something big in your life. He is waiting for you and He is willing to touch you now. Are you willing to give it all to Him? Are you willing for Him to do it His way? As one dear saint told me... "Let go and let God!" That's great advice for all of us.

No comments:

Post a Comment