Saturday, July 17, 2010

Waiting On God

Isaiah 30:18 NLT - {18} But the LORD still waits for you to come to him so he can show you his love and compassion. For the LORD is a faithful God. Blessed are those who wait for him to help them.

A few years ago my wife and I made a trip to Colorado to be with some friends in the month of December. Although the weather was cooler in Southern California it was very cold in Colorado – 12 degrees when we landed. Our plan was to get a hotel that night and meet up with our friends the next day. We picked up our luggage and made our way outside to stand under the sign that said Hotel Pickup. (Do you remember that I said it was 12 degrees out?) What should have been a couple of minutes wait turned into 45 minutes as the bus we needed never came around. I think it might have been one of the longest waits of my life. When we finally got to the hotel – we we’re completely frozen which was a good reminder for me why I enjoy living in Southern California. Waiting is not one of my strengths in life as I mostly am impatient for things to happen quickly. It is one of the areas my wife and I are opposite in as she has great patience for most things in life – including me which is a real miracle! I confess – I don’t understand the timetable that God has in life – especially when it comes to me and my own journey upon this earth. Waiting has always been hard for me and it is something that I’ve been forced to learn about over my 56 years of living on this earth. My wife has always called me “A Joseph” as he was one who had to endure a lot in life and had to wait for a long time to receive God’s promises that we’re given to him as a young boy. But God did come through for Joseph – perhaps not in the way or in the timing that he thought but He did come through and God has come through for me. Isaiah encourages us to wait for God who is waiting for us to come to Him in our need and to let Him know that we are ready for Him to show us His love and compassion. He reminds us also of the faithfulness of God and the blessing that are coming our way for waiting for Him. I know that I have no arrived and have a long way to go in life but I continue to learn about God and His ways by my learning to wait upon Him. I am often reminded that God is more concerned with our character then our comfort. Waiting then is a way for me to develop more character in my life. I guess… waiting isn’t so bad as it will bring about God’s best in walk and journey with Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment