Thursday, July 22, 2010

Loving One Another "Deeply"

1 Peter 1:22 NIV - {Now that you have purified yourselves by obeying the truth so that you have sincere love for your brothers, love one another deeply, from the heart.

My first pastorate enabled me to put into practice the many lessons that I had been learning throughout my lifetime. It is one thing to sit and watch lessons being learned by others – it is quite another to have to work them out in your own life. As I began the journey of pastoring I soon learned that a church can be filled with all sorts of people from different places in life. Some we’re easy to love and others, well let’s just say… they made loving very difficult. Interestingly enough, those that we’re difficult to love have often become my dearest friends as we have had to work through our “issues” and put into the scriptural practice of loving one another. The admonition in this scripture is that we would “love one another deeply, from the heart.” This cannot be done in our own strength – it can only be done with the power and help of Jesus Christ who will help us to love others in a deep way. Two nights ago, I was sitting with 6 men of whom I have made my life very accountable to. Together, with these men, we make the decisions about the church finances. While the meeting was going on – a thought came across my heart – “I deeply love and care for each of these men as they have made such an impression on my life.” I am sure that they feel the same way about me also. Over the years I have learned the importance of loving others “deeply.” I have learned about trusting (even when others have proven untrustworthy). I am still growing of my understanding of a lot of things but I am sure of one thing – I must get this loving thing right because it is the very heart of God.

No comments:

Post a Comment