Monday, July 19, 2010

Being Still Before God

Psalms 46:10 NKJV - {10} Be still, and know that I [am] God.

As a young boy (over 50 years ago) I was a rather ambitious child. I got into everything and was more than a handful for my parents. Left to my own – I would wander off in my own little world causing my parents to go into panic mode. Back then – they didn’t have these nice child harnesses that I see parents with small children have. My mom made her own by buying a dog leash and just hooked it to the belt loop on my pants. One morning my mom came into the kitchen and found me sitting on the refrigerator (I had somehow managed to get out of my crib and somehow found a way to get my little body all the way to the top.) I carried that energy into my youth and then into my adult years. I was always going and going – doing and doing. This went on until I finally hit a wall and had to stop. I was done physically, spiritually and mentally. I knew nothing about Sabbaths, sabbatical’s or just resting. I was forced into a place where I had to retool myself and learn how to live God’s way and not mine. I had to learn the meaning of “being still” and “resting.” Perhaps that was one of the hardest things I’ve ever had to do but it has been one of the most important. I actually like the place where it has brought me – especially in my spiritual walk with God. I enjoy just “being still” before Him and allowing Him to speak to my soul. I enjoy not having to go everywhere and do everything. It has been an adjustment for me but it has been the thing that has revived and saved my life. I am excited about life again and I am excited about what God has in store for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment