Saturday, July 31, 2010

Get Into "The Curl"

Psalms 107:29-30 NLT - He calmed the storm to a whisper and stilled the waves. What a blessing was that stillness as he brought them safely into harbor!

For about four years of my life I lived in Costa Mesa, California and was only a short distance to the ocean in Newport Beach. On a regular basis I would ride my bicycle down to the beach or I would take my family down there to enjoy the ocean. One of my favorite places was a place called “The Wedge” in Newport Beach. It faced both south and west and was the place where opposing oceans would collide into each other and cause huge waves to develop making it a great place for surfers, body surfers and body boarders. It was a great place to sit and watch the waves and all the ocean enthusiasts. It wasn't a place for the faint of heart. After a short season, I couldn't remain a spectator any more and eventually purchased a body board and fins so I could be part of the actions. The waves we're stronger than I ever thought and I was constantly being thrashed around by the power of the oceans strength. I thought I would never “get it” but I kept at it. I will never forget the day though when everything seemed to come together and I was able to catch the perfect wave. I started off at the the right time and was able to get into “the curl” (where the wave develops a space in the middle and covers you on all sides.) All of sudden – it wasn't about the thrashing of the waves upon my body but a short moment (maybe around 5 seconds) of quiet and peace. It was amazing. That experience became the standard of what I would try to attain every time I tried to take a wave. Our Christian walk is in a lot of ways like those waves – thrashing and throwing us every direction. They beat you up and wear you out. But then there comes this moment of “getting into the curl” or getting into the arms of Jesus and you have this season of great peace. Once you've experienced that – nothing else will every truly satisfy you. We all face storms in our lives but God promises that He will keep and protect you and bring you safely into his harbor. If you are being thrown and thrashed around today – allow God to bring you up into His arms and accept the peace that He has for you today.

No comments:

Post a Comment