Thursday, October 31, 2013

THE SUN IS OUT THERE SOMEWHERE

For this reason, because I have heard of your faith in the Lord Jesus and your love toward all the saints, I do not cease to give thanks for you, remembering you in my prayers, (Ephesians 1:15, 16 ESV)

When I lived in the state of Washington I had to deal with the fact that almost every day was filled with clouds or rain - especially in the winter.  Sometimes it would be over a month before we would see the sunshine.  It seemed like it was always gloomy and cold.  I remember when we first had an oppportunity to fly home of this astounding fact: as we flew through the clouds - the sun was still up there.  It was always there - but we couldn't see it!  That is a lesson for all of us to learn about our personal lives also, that, the SON is still out there even if we don't see Him.  One of the things I like about reading Paul's letters in the Bible was the fact that he was always thankful about something.  Things might have been going very badly for him but he always found something to be thankful for.  His life had been so radically changed and altered after he turned his life over to Christ that no matter how difficult his journey was - he had developed a thankful heart for the grace given to him in that Christ Jesus saved him.  He knew that the SON was out there somewhere.  He developed a thankful heart inspite of the opposition and trials that he was facing. He always found a way to be thankful for something.  In this passage Paul simply says that he is thankful for "you, remembering you in my prayers."  Time or space could not contain room for all the people in my life who I am so thankful for - people who have stood with and prayed for me and my family for years.   I will always be humbled and thankful for the many blessings I have received by so many loving and caring people. It is so easy for us to be caught up in the moment and to develop a negative attitude of heart.  Our situation - good or bad can be the most consuming thing that we can see or feel at the time.  It is so important and even imperative that we train our minds to be thankful.  It is so important to remember that Jesus Christ - God's SON is out there - even if we can't see Him.  As we enter into this fall season I would like to challenge you to pause for a moment and just remember what you have to be thankful for: a friend, a family member, a blessing, etc.  Or maybe like Paul, you are just thankful for the grace extended to you and saved you from your past.  I know that is true of me - that I'm so thankful that God loved me and saved me.  I am so blessed and thankful today.

No comments:

Post a Comment