Sunday, October 6, 2013

REFLECTIONS OF ONE YEAR AGO



But our citizenship is in heaven, and from it we await a Savior, the Lord Jesus Christ, who will transform our lowly body to be like his glorious body, by the power that enables him even to subject all things to himself. (Philippians 3:20, 21 ESV)

One year ago today, I stood by my Father's side as He stepped from this life into eternity.  And, at that time, all of his children and most of his grandkids were with him in his bedroom as he took his last breath on earth.  Just before he died he looked at us and said that he was seeing Jesus.  We asked him if he saw his parents and my grandson Jonathan who had died previously and he said that he did.  When we pressed him for more information he waved us off and told us that it was too much to describe.  As he was in his last days and hours, we took vigils by his bedside - singing, praying, crying and even laughing at the many memories we shared together.  It was also a teaching moment to our grandkids about living life well and even ending well.  My dad knew that he was a citizen of heaven and that he was just passing through this life on the way to his real home in heaven.  His earthly body that was broken down and failing was transformed into a glorious body upon his entrance to heaven.  I am often asked if I am sad about my dad's passing and I tell them "yes" and "no."  Yes, I miss him but no I'm not sad because I know where He is and I know that He is no longer in pain and suffering.  When we would ask my dad about his favorite verse - he would often quote Philippians 4:13 - "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me."  He was a great father, friend and mentor.  He supported me through thick and thin.  And most important, he left me with a legacy of faith that I am also imparting to my children and grandkids.  I am glad to say that I'm my father's son.

No comments:

Post a Comment