Friday, October 18, 2013

DON'T LET YOUR MIND GO CRAZY ON YOU!

Beloved, I pray that all may go well with you and that you may be in good health, as it goes well with your soul. (3 John 1:2 ESV)

Many people don't realize it but there is a direct correlation between a person's soul (gr. "psyche") and our health.  The soul is our heart/ being/ mind.  It's "who" we are.  It's the area where we think, dwell and ponder upon issues.  It's where I make decisions.  It is what determines how we live our life.  It the gate to our happiness.  Look at this verse and ponder it with me today - "As a man thinks in his heart, so is he" (Proverbs 23:7).  I have to be disciplined with my thoughts for they then determine my actions. I have to be careful what comes into my mind via stories people tell me, books I read, TV programs and movies.  I cannot be dwelling on the negative parts of life and expect it to not affect me.  I cannot be dwelling on all the wrongs and evils and injustices that have come my way.  I must choose today to dwell on the good of life and the promises that God has made to me and my family.  I must do what this verse says... "Guard your heart above all else, for it determines the course of your life." (Proverbs 4:23).  That is, I must put a sentry at the door of my heart because how I think is often how I "feel" inside.  There is a great video clip out there of Bob Newhart acting as if he's a psychologist.  In this clip, this lady comes in to him telling him all her worries and problems.  And... she goes on and on.  Finally, she asks for his opinion on what she has been telling him. Bob Newhart who had heard enough shouts "Stop it!  Stop it right now!"  If your mind is going crazy on you -  "Stop it! Stop it right now!"  I pray that "all would go well with you, and that you may be in good health, as it goes well with your soul."  You can experience happiness and peace today but you need to make some decisions about what you are going to be thinking and dwelling upon - your problems or God's promises for you and your life.  The choice is yours!

No comments:

Post a Comment