Monday, October 14, 2013

IS THERE A "KINK" IN YOUR LIFE?

And have you forgotten the exhortation that addresses you as sons? “My son, do not regard lightly the discipline of the Lord, nor be weary when reproved by him. For the Lord disciplines the one he loves, and chastises every son whom he receives.” (Hebrews 12:5, 6 ESV)

I am reminded as I read this passage of something my parents used to say to me when they were about to discipline me with a spanking as a young child.  They would say, "This hurts me more than it hurts you."  As a parent and a grandparent I understand those words more now because of the love that you have for those you are disciplining.  It's interesing that "the Lord disciplines the one he loves" indicating that He wouldn't be doing this if He didn't love us as a son son or daughter.  So, what is the purpose of discipline?  Why does God bring this out in the Bible?  Again, it goes back to love.   He loves us too much for us to continue sinning.  He wants us to live the life that is best for us and is willing to put some guardrails on our life so that we will be focused in living the most God-fearing life ever.  I was thinking about how this works out in my life because sometimes I don't realize that things are out of whack.  If I am in my garden watering my plants - sometimes the water in the hose comes down to a trickle.  I will lay down the hose and follow it back to the source and realize that there is a kink in the hose.  That kink causes the flow on the end of the hose to stop flowing completely.  It is the same with God.  Rebellion, sin, disobeience causes the flow of God's power to stop in your life.  You are moving around as a Christian but there's no power or flow of the Holy Spirit.  The anointing is not there.  It is then that God begins to deal with us and to discipline our lives to unkink our hoses that are connected to the source - God Almighty.  It is easy to get mad at God during these times but the best thing to do is submit to the discipline and let God works out the kinks in our life.  It is then that the free flow of God's power and love will flow through your lives again.

No comments:

Post a Comment