Thursday, January 28, 2016

3 TYPES OF STORMS YOU WILL FACE IN LIFE


I’ve been a Christian for almost 60 years and I’ve seen a lot of things in life - especially the trials that all Christians will eventually go through.  I speak from experience because I have had to walk through these same storms in my own life.  

I remember sitting with my dad before being launched out into ministry and he spoke these prophetic words over me - “God is not going to give you any shortcuts.”  I honestly thought just the opposite - that God would make things easy for me.

How wrong I was.

Over the years I’ve now categorized 3 different storms that we will all face and I would like to share those with you today.

3 TYPES OF STORMS

Storms To Be Rebuked Or Resisted (Time To Fight)
Storms To Seek Shelter (Time To Hide)
Storms To Endure (Time To Stand

It’s important to say this before going any further - Any storm that sweeps into your life has been allowed by God as He will not allow you to go through more than you can bear.

1) Storms To Be Rebuked Or Resisted (Time To Fight)

These could be things like lust, selfishness, pride, etc.

One day Jesus said to his disciples, “Let’s cross to the other side of the lake.” So they got into a boat and started out. As they sailed across, Jesus settled down for a nap. But soon a fierce storm came down on the lake. The boat was filling with water, and they were in real danger. The disciples went and woke him up, shouting, “Master, Master, we’re going to drown!” When Jesus woke up, he rebuked the wind and the raging waves. Suddenly the storm stopped and all was calm. Then he asked them, “Where is your faith?” The disciples were terrified and amazed. “Who is this man?” they asked each other. “When he gives a command, even the wind and waves obey him!”” Luke‬ ‭8:22-25‬ ‭NLT‬‬

This storm was probably of Satanic origin.  Jesus would never have rebuked this storm if it had come from God.

2) Storms To Seek Shelter From (Time To Hide)

There is a time to fight and there is a time to hide.  You need to know what you are supposed to do.

In Exodus 12 we see God’s instructions to the elders of Israel on how to shelter their families from the Death Angel that was going to strike Egypt (This was the final plague coming against Egypt.)

At times, storms of great magnitude need to left in the hands of God. To rush out and rebuke these storms would prove futile and harmful because only God and His power can deal with this type of storm.

In this storm, we are to seek shelter and allow God to fight the battle for us.

My God is my rock, in whom I find protection. He is my shield, the power that saves me, and my place of safety. He is my refuge, my savior, the one who saves me from violence.” 2 Samuel‬ ‭22:3‬ ‭NLT‬‬

3) Some Storms We Must Endure (A time To Stand)

There is a time to fight.  There is a time to hide.  There is a time to stand.

This is the spiritual warfare that every Christian has to deal with in their lives - standing up for God’s ways and God’s principles.

Even though I have received such wonderful revelations from God. So to keep me from becoming proud, I was given a thorn in my flesh, a messenger from Satan to torment me and keep me from becoming proud. Three different times I begged the Lord to take it away. Each time he said, “My grace is all you need. My power works best in weakness.” So now I am glad to boast about my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ can work through me. That’s why I take pleasure in my weaknesses, and in the insults, hardships, persecutions, and troubles that I suffer for Christ. For when I am weak, then I am strong.” 2 Corinthians‬ ‭12:7-10‬ ‭NLT‬‬

Paul knew that there was a time to endure what was before him.  Even in his weakness - he worked through and stood strong so that the power of Christ would work through him.

There used to be a man in my church who was a jeweler.  I was always amazed at watching him created beautiful pieces of jewelry for his clients.  One time I was watching him melt gold.  He heated it up and let the dross come to the top so he could scrape it off.  He did this over and over until all was left was pure gold.  (I am told that this needs to be done 7x’s to be done right).

You might be going through a storm right now.  I don’t know whether it is a storm you need to resist or seek shelter from or a storm that you just need to endure.  I do know this - whatever storm you are facing - God is with you right now and He will not leave or forsake and will take you to the very end.  You are precious and are loved by God.

No comments:

Post a Comment