Thursday, December 17, 2009

How To Grow Your Faith

2 Peter 1:5-9 (NLT) 1:5 In view of all this, make every effort to respond to God’s promises. Supplement your faith with a generous provision of moral excellence, and moral excellence with knowledge, 6 and knowledge with self-control, and self-control with patient endurance, and patient endurance with godliness, 7 and godliness with brotherly affection, and brotherly affection with love for everyone. 8 The more you grow like this, the more productive and useful you will be in your knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ. 9 But those who fail to develop in this way are shortsighted or blind, forgetting that they have been cleansed from their old sins.

We've all been given a seed to plant and harvest in our lives. It’s the seed of faith. The way we take care of that seed will determine the amount of fruit that you have in your walk with Christ. There are choices that I must make for my faith to grow. I must make decisions about the type of life that I’m going to live and the way I will live out my life. It’s interesting that Peter says that we need to supplement our faith with certain characteristics like moral excellence and knowledge and self control and patient endurance and godliness and brotherly affection. These are the ingredients that bring on the growth of faith. These are that which makes us productive in our Christian life. There are times when I didn’t add these ingredients into my faith causing my faith to be puny and unfruitful. When these ingredients are added to your faith – it will grow. You will have confidence. You will be excited about life and what God wants you to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment