Friday, December 17, 2010

While You Are Waiting

2 Peter 3:13-14 (NLT) But we are looking forward to the new heavens and new earth he has promised, a world filled with God’s righteousness. And so, dear friends, while you are waiting for these things to happen, make every effort to be found living peaceful lives that are pure and blameless in his sight.

I did a funeral this last week of a 94 year old woman who was a Christian. To be honest – I was kind of envious of her. I can just imagine what it was like for her to slip from this world to that glorious place in heaven. But the reality is this – I still live here on earth and I still have to go to work and make a life for myself in this day by day life. However, I get to choose how I live my life and how I serve my God. Some people choose to live in isolation – away from being connected with people. Others like myself, choose to live life to the fullest and to engage and help people along the way. That is not always a clean process. It is sometimes messy and awkward. It has its ups and it has it downs. There are people I get along with really well and there are people… well you know. Peter helps us with this dilemma by encouraging us to do some things while we’re waiting for our appointment in heaven. He tells us to make EVERY effort to be found living peaceful lives and to be pure and blameless in God’s sight. For Peter to even mention this to us indicates that we could choose to live another way. I have tried to live my life and to be at peace with all men. I have tried to live a pure and blameless life. I know I have made many mistakes and failed miserably along the way. Yet, I have chosen to keep moving forward – to keep hoping for better things – to keep believing that I can change and that others can also. I think the key here is that I will make every effort. I will do the very best that I can. God, in His providence will always see me through and will always bring His best in my life if I am faithful to do what He has asked me to do. I haven’t arrived and I have a long way to go but I am looking forward to all that God has in store for my life and I know it is good because I serve a good God today.

No comments:

Post a Comment