Wednesday, December 8, 2010

The Wealthiest Place In The High Desert

1 Timothy 4:14-15 (MSG) And that special gift of ministry you were given when the leaders of the church laid hands on you and prayed—keep that dusted off and in use. Cultivate these things. Immerse yourself in them. The people will all see you mature right before their eyes!

Every day I drive to work I drive by the wealthiest place in the High Desert. You didn’t know that we have such an area? Well we do. In fact – there are about 4 or 5 places that have some hidden treasures worth more than money could pay. Still don’t know? The answer is really quite simple – it is our local cemeteries. They hold the unfilled dreams and visions of hundreds of thousands of people who never fulfilled them on earth and eventually took them to their grave. These we’re dreams of a better life, a successful career, better health, etc. Some of them people had ideas in them that they never acted upon. Had they moved forward on them – they would have been millionaires in their lifetimes. Paul encourages us to dust off our gift and keep in use. Don’t let your tools go dull. Keep using the gift that God has given you. Cultivate it. Immerse yourself in it. Become an expert at what you do. Let people see how you’ve matured in that gift and how God is using you in that regard. Don’t let excuses rule this part of your life – “I’m too old.” “I’m too busy.” “I’m too tired.” There will always be excuses if you let them rule your thoughts. It’s interesting in life: There are some things that I do and it wears me out. Those things obviously are not my part of my God gifting. However, when I’m doing what I’m called to do – I have energy and strength. I have motivation. It’s at times like that when I feel alive and close to God. Let me encourage you today to pray about what it is that you are called to do in life. When you discover that gift – go for it. Learn about it. Prepare yourself to be an expert in it. Find a place to use it. I like what John Piper says – “God is most glorified when we are most satisfied in Him.” That should be the goal of every person today. When you do God’s will for your life you be glorifying God in your midst and you as well as people around you will be blest as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment