Wednesday, December 22, 2010

How To Live A Blessed Life

John 13:14-17 (NLT) And since I, your Lord and Teacher, have washed your feet, you ought to wash each other’s feet. I have given you an example to follow. Do as I have done to you. I tell you the truth, slaves are not greater than their master. Nor is the messenger more important than the one who sends the message. Now that you know these things, God will bless you for doing them.

Last week I had the privilege to be amongst some 50 or 60 volunteers from the church who were serving those less fortunate than others. Our church provided groceries for approximately 200 families from the High Desert area – as we do every month. As people went through the line – I tried to reach out and hug and bless every person that walked by. I tried to give them a word of encouragement or to offer them a prayer for their situations. As I was doing that – one lady came up to me with tears in her eyes and said that she wanted to give me something. I opened it up and saw that it was a card of thanks expressing what a blessing the church has been to her and her husband every month. She was filled with tears and so was I. What a blessing. What a joy. Two times over the last week – different people gave me an envelope filled with money to be given anonymously to different families in the church. Overwhelming. As I passed the money on to the people in need – tears of great joy we’re seen on their faces. Priceless. Jesus, teaching his disciples about serving took a towel and began to wash their feet as they entered the house. He tells them, as well as to us – if you do this, then you will blessed. Jesus teaches us in other passages that if we take care of the orphans, prisoners and the poor – that we will receive back many times more. I’m a blessed man – many times over. I can’t count the multitude of blessings that have come my way. God has healed me and restored me and has shown great favor on my life and on my family. I serve one of the most awesome churches in the world. I am excited about life and all that God has in store for me. But, as I ponder these things – I can’t forget the mandate that God has given to all of us – to love and to serve those less fortunate than us and always be a servant and blessing to others. I must be like Jesus with one knee to the ground and a towel in my hand bending over to wash the feet of others around me. If I do those things – I will continue to walk in His blessing in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment