Tuesday, December 14, 2010

How Can I Be Satisfied And Happy Today?

Hebrews 13:5 (NLT) Don’t love money; be satisfied with what you have. For God has said, “I will never fail you. I will never abandon you.”

I made the mistake the other day of going into Toys R Us. It wasn’t my plan or desire to do so but because my wife was under the weather I volunteered to go into the battle zone. There’s only one word I have to describe that environment – craziness! Even before I got in the door I met a woman coming out with a look of dismay saying, “I just didn’t get there in time.” Now mind you, I hadn’t even got into the store. With much trepidation – I pressed forward only to be met with lines everywhere. People we’re rushing and grabbing the toy that they had picked out for their child or grandchild or any other kids that might have been on their list. Fortunately, I found out that one of my daughter’s was there to hunt down some toys for one of her boys. With cell phone in hand I called her and told her about my mission. She immediately zeroed in on the desired toy and took it out of commission so that no other desperate adult would get their hands on it. Adults we’re everywhere. Kids we’re everywhere. Everyone wanted the latest, greatest toy that was out there. I can’t tell you how many times I heard, “Mom, can I have this?” Or… “Dad I want/need this toy.” Showing their frustrations, moms and dads would voice their protest even though they knew that they would soon be asked about another toy just around the next counter.

The writer of Hebrews helps us out here by simply saying, “Don’t love money; be satisfied with what you have.” The question becomes then – How can we learn to be satisfied with what we have? It is so imperative that learn how to live with less rather than desiring more. We must learn the joys of giving from our abundance rather than stockpiling and accumulating more. We must relish what we have rather than resent what you're missing. We only become fully satisfied when we realize God's sufficiency for our needs. Christians who become materialistic are saying by their actions that God can't take care of them—or at least that he won't take care of them the way they want. Insecurity can lead to the love of money, whether we are rich or poor. The only antidote is to trust God to meet all our needs – all of them. Yes… this world is little crazy and the Christmas Season catches up with all of us every year – but, it doesn’t have to be. You can stop the craziness going on in your life. Don’t forget God’s promise to you today – I will never fail you. I will never abandon you.”

No comments:

Post a Comment