Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Words That Every Son Or Daughter Wants To Hear

Matthew 17:5 (NLT) But even as he spoke, a bright cloud came over them, and a voice from the cloud said, “This is my dearly loved Son, who brings me great joy.”

I love Israel and its rich history and culture. The Hebrew people, language, and food are very dear to my heart. But what is very special is their understanding and importance of the blessing from their earthly Father. Every day the children come to their “Abba” (daddy) and ask him to bless them. They won't dare leave the house until that blessing is given. Not only is it done on a daily basis but the patriarchal blessing is given over special events and endeavors on a regular basis. Sadly, It is something that is missing in our American culture. The father's influence into each of his childrens lives is glaringly absent. As a result, unknowingly, people begin to search throughout their lifetime for someone to say, “This is MY son/ daughter in whom I am well pleased and who brings me great joy.” Every one wants to know that they are loved and that they bring meaning to life. People who don't receive this blessing try to fulfill their lives with many things trying to fill the void inside them. I happen to be blessed with a godly heritage in my parents and grandparents. As a child I was always told how much I was loved and how much God loves me. As an adult, I have a father who often tells me how blessed he is to be my father and how proud he is of me. I have tried to impart that blessing to my kids and grand kids. But sadly, most of the people have never experienced that blessing. They don't know what it is liked to be so loved and so accepted. Often, in talking to me about one's father – people will break down in tears because they miss what could have been and how much they have missed out in life. I am glad that God spoke out about his son and verbalized it so others could hear it. The neat thing about this passage is this – it is a blessing over every one of us today – His kids. We are blessed of God whether we have received an earthly blessing or not. We are His. He is ours. Walk in that blessing today. You are His Son/ Daughter today.

No comments:

Post a Comment