Monday, November 8, 2010

Keep A Fork In Your Hand!

1 Corinthians 1:4-6 (NLT) I always thank my God for you and for the gracious gifts he has given you, now that you belong to Christ Jesus. Through him, God has enriched your church in every way...”.

When Jesus was at the Last Supper with his disciples he took the bread and broke and said, “Do this in remembrance of me. He also took the cup and said it again, “Do this in remembrance of me.” Life flies by us sometimes at break neck speeds. It seems that we are so focused on what we are doing today or tomorrow that we forget what Christ did for us in the past. We forget the sacrifice that He paid for us by being on the cross and, we forget the multitude of blessings that He brought our way. Paul opens this book by saying that he thanked God for all the gracious gifts that had been to the Corinthians. He goes on to say that “through him (Christ) – their lives had been enriched in every way. I have been pondering this over the past few days – about what God has done for me. Too often, we focus on the bad things and don't see the good. Lately, I have been trying to focus on the good things that God has done to and through me. To stop and think about those things is overwhelming. I could write a book. I am so blessed. And... I know that there is more. I read a story a while back about a woman who died. At her request, she wanted to be buried with a fork in her hand. The pastor explained the reason behind this was because whenever she would go to church potlucks and eat that people would come around and pick up the dirty dishes but they would say, “Keep your fork because desert is coming.” I think that there are a lot of lessons for us here today. Life might have been hard and life might have dealt us with blows. But... if you think about it – there have also been a lot of blessings that have come your way. God has richly blessed us. But it doesn't stop there. Like the lady who died – we would do well to take her advice. you'd better keep a fork in your hand because the best is yet to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment