Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Forgiveness Is An Issue

Matthew 18:21-22 (NLT) 21 Then Peter came to him and asked, “Lord, how often should I forgive someone who sins against me? Seven times?” 22 “No, not seven times,” Jesus replied, “but seventy times seven!

Someone came to me the other day and mentioned that they we're dealing with something in their lives. They went on to say that everywhere they turned that God was dealing with them about forgiveness. We looked at some scriptures and talked it through of how important it is to forgive and prayed together. However, I left that conversation a little empty because I knew that this was an issue that God was dealing with my life also. It wasn't a big issue but a gnawing and annoying issue. I have noticed recently that my thoughts we're going to a specific situation over and over. Obviously, I still had some residual of un-forgiveness that I needed to deal with. The fact of the matter is this – We all live on this planet together and stuff happens to all of us. People will end up hurting us in a small and big ways. We will end up being wounded and be let down by those surrounding us. Frederick the Great once said, “The more I study people – the more I like my dog.” Funny perhaps. Cute quote. But it doesn't work. God's way is this - “the more we study people – the more love and compassion we should have.” People are hurting and hurting people hurt people. Situations will happen. We will get under one-anothers skin. Life will hurt at times. But... God heals all the time. He knows that you and I can't forgive in our own strength and power. We can, however, look to Him for help in this area. Peter was saying, “God, I only have the strength to forgive seven times.” God's response to him and to us is the same - “I can help you forgive as many times as it takes. I will help you. Trust in me today.”

No comments:

Post a Comment