Friday, December 19, 2014

WHEN YOU FAIL

I thank him who has given me strength, Christ Jesus our Lord, because he judged me faithful, appointing me to his service, (‭1 Timothy‬ ‭1‬:‭12‬ ESV)

I woke up feeling like a failure today in a certain area of my life that I've failed to achieve the goals I have set for myself.  Do you ever feel that way?  Do you sometimes feel like you've gone 1 step forward only to go 2 steps back?  I know I have plenty of times.

So, what do I do?  How do I get back on track of the disciplines that need to be part of my daily life?  It is a simple two part process: First, I need to repent.  And secondly, I need to ask for God's help.

Paul, in writing to Timothy, says He thankful to God "who has given me strength."   Quite honestly, without the strength of the Lord I wouldn't have a fighting chance with anything I do in life.  God strengthens me.

Another word for strengthen is "enable."  In other words, if God God calls me - He also enables me to do the task.  I can do this with His help.

Specifically, Paul is thanking God for "enabling" him to do ministry - but isn't that relative to all that we do?  God enables us to do any task that is set before us.

When you look at Paul's testimony - it is not something to be proud of.  He was an executioner for the Roman government to kill Christians.  And yet, he found forgiveness in God and became a faithful servant of the Lord, writting many books of the Bible that have endured for multiple generations.

Perhaps you might feel a little down on yourself today and are having a difficult time forgiving yourself.  Go to God, seek His forgiveness and move forward.

It is inevitable that in life there will be obstacles to overcome.  Whether the challenge is physical, emotional or behavioral it is how we respond to these challenges that will determine ultimate success or failure.  

Zig Ziglar said, “Motivation is the spark that lights the fire of knowledge and fuels the engine of accomplishment.  It maximized and maintains momentum.”  

Perhaps the “Don’t Quit Poem" can provide you with the motivation to begin moving towards your aspirations.

When things go wrong as they sometimes will,
When the road you're trudging seems all uphill
When the funds are low and the debts are high,
And you want to smile, but you have to sigh,
When care is pressing you down a bit --
Rest if you must, but don't quit.

Life is strange with its twists and turns,
As every one of us sometimes learns,
And many a fellow turns about
When he might have won had he stuck it out.
Don't give up though the pace seems slow --
You may succeed with another blow.

Often the goal is nearer than
It seems to a fair and faltering man,
Often the struggler has given up
When he might have captured the victor's cup,
And he learned too late when night came down,
How close he was to the golden crown.

Success is failure turned inside out --
The silver tint of the clouds of doubt,
And you never can tell how close you are,
It may be near when it seems afar,
So stick to the fight when you're hardest hit, --
It's when things seem worst that you mustn't quit.

No comments:

Post a Comment