Wednesday, December 3, 2014

HUMBLED


Five times I received at the hands of the Jews the forty lashes less one. Three times I was beaten with rods. Once I was stoned. Three times I was shipwrecked; a night and a day I was adrift at sea; on frequent journeys, in danger from rivers, danger from robbers, danger from my own people, danger from Gentiles, danger in the city, danger in the wilderness, danger at sea, danger from false brothers; in toil and hardship, through many a sleepless night, in hunger and thirst, often without food, in cold and exposure. (‭2 Corinthians‬ ‭11‬:‭24-27‬ ESV)

In reading this passage this morning I was very humbled.  We often look at our own lives and troubles and think that whatever trial we are going through is greater than everyone else's.  How untrue that is.

When we look at the scope of Paul's ministry we often only see the final fruits of his labors and forget that there were some tumultous times going on in his private life.   Look at the list that Paul presents:

1- "Five times I received at the hands of the Jews the forty lashes less one." This was the punishment given to people who taught other than what the Jewish faith taught.  Paul was only preaching the gospel and was punished for it.

2- "Three times I was beaten by rods."  This was the Gentile form of punishment.

3- "Once I was stoned."  A form of execution.

4- "Three times I was shipwrecked."  I think that after one time of being ship wrecked I wouldn't go out on a boat again.  Paul states that they were adrift "day and night."

5- "On frequent journeys, in danger from rivers, danger from robbers, danger from my own people, danger from Gentiles, danger in the city, danger in the wilderness, danger at sea, danger from false brothers; in toil and hardship,"

What more can be said here.  7 x's he uses the word "danger."

6- "Through many a sleepless night, in hunger and thirst, often without food, in cold and exposure."

Hmmmm... and yet people still want to go into ministry?

I've been pastoring for 41 years and have been through and have endured a lot.   I am humbled by reading what Paul went through and thankful for the journey God has allowed me to go through.

When I read that it is believed that 150,000 - 300,000 people a year die in martydom for their faith - I am humbled again.  My trials and difficulties are nothing compared to people around the world who are suffering for their faith in Christ.

We are so spoiled and hardened.  Our hearts are sometimes less than thankful.

This passage must remind us that we live in a very blessed nation and must remember to pray for the suffering church.  Right now as we read this - people are being tortured for their faith and need our prayers.  May we be humbled in being so priviledged to live in such a blessed nation and always remember to pray for the persecuted church around the world. 

No comments:

Post a Comment