Tuesday, December 16, 2014

THE TENSION BETWEEN WHAT IS AND WHAT COULD BE

Now to him who is able to do far more abundantly than all that we ask or think, according to the power at work within us, (‭Ephesians‬ ‭3‬:‭20‬ ESV)

As I look back on my life I can say that I've lived a very blessed life.  I've seen the hand of God in so many miraculous ways that words cannot even describe in a few short paragraphs.  

My life verse has been - (‭Ephesians‬ ‭1‬:‭3‬ ESV) - "Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has blessed us in Christ with every spiritual blessing in the heavenly places,"

The places I've been, the people I've met, the miracles I have seen are very overwhelming to say the least.

One of the areas of blessing has been that I grew up in a Christian home to Christian parents and that the walk of faith was taught and impressed upon my ever since my birth.  Both my dad and mom lived and exampled a deep trust in the most faithful God.

Hanging in our home in a prominent place was the theme lines from a poem by C.T. Studd called "One Life" - "Only one life,'twill soon be past, Only what's done for Christ will last."

That has been embedded into my very being and has driven everything that I do in life.

But here's where the tension lies. Do look back with satisfaction and say, "I've been blessed and I'm happy where I am in life" or do I look at my life and say "And yet, there is more to come."

I think both are necessary.

Watchmen Nee wrote a book in the 1940's called "The Normal Christian Life."  The whole premise was that our idea of "normal" was much lower than God's standard of normal.  He taught that God wants so much more for our lives.

Yes, I can be happy and satisfied right now but God is not finished with me.  There are mountains to climb and battles yet to be won.  There are souls to be saved and grandchildren to raise and disciple for their life journey.

There is not one person alive who can only say, "I'm happy where I am."  The fact is, God has so much more for your life.

I know for a fact that I am still on mission and have assignments yet to fulfill and ministries yet to carry out.  I can get up each morning knowing that "the mercies of the Lord are new every morning" and that I can step into my day knowing that God has something great and special ahead.

Only One Life
By C.T. Studd

Two little lines I heard one day,
Traveling along life's busy way;
Bringing conviction to my heart,
And from my mind would not depart;
Only one life, 'twill soon be past,
Only what's done for Christ will last.

Only one life, yes only one,
Soon will its fleeting hours be done;
Then, in 'that day' my Lord to meet,
And stand before His Judgement seat;
Only one life,'twill soon be past,
Only what's done for Christ will last.

Only one life, the still small voice,
Gently pleads for a better choice
Bidding me selfish aims to leave,
And to God's holy will to cleave;
Only one life, 'twill soon be past,
Only what's done for Christ will last.

Only one life, a few brief years,
Each with its burdens, hopes, and fears;
Each with its clays I must fulfill,
living for self or in His will;
Only one life, 'twill soon be past,
Only what's done for Christ will last.

When this bright world would tempt me sore,
When Satan would a victory score;
When self would seek to have its way,
Then help me Lord with joy to say;
Only one life, 'twill soon be past,
Only what's done for Christ will last.

Give me Father, a purpose deep,
In joy or sorrow Thy word to keep;
Faithful and true what e'er the strife,
Pleasing Thee in my daily life;
Only one life, 'twill soon be past,
Only what's done for Christ will last.

Oh let my love with fervor burn,
And from the world now let me turn;
Living for Thee, and Thee alone,
Bringing Thee pleasure on Thy throne;
Only one life, 'twill soon be past,
Only what's done for Christ will last.

Only one life, yes only one,
Now let me say,"Thy will be done”;
And when at last I'll hear the call,
I know I'll say “twas worth it all”;
Only one life,'twill soon be past,
Only what's done for Christ will last

No comments:

Post a Comment