Monday, December 15, 2014

FOR THOSE WHO STRUGGLE WITH PATIENCE


But as for me, I will look to the Lord; I will wait for the God of my salvation; my God will hear me. Rejoice not over me, O my enemy; when I fall, I shall rise; when I sit in darkness, the Lord will be a light to me. (‭Micah‬ ‭7‬:‭7-8‬ ESV)     

Over the years I've developed the attribute of patience in my life but it hasn't always been this way.  The old adage - "God, I pray for patience and I want it right now" would best described my outook in regards to patience and waiting for something to happen.

As I started out in ministry I expected things to just fall into my lap and that fruit would just come.  I envisioned speaking in stadiums and arenas and that I would be in high demand as a speaker to conferences, churches and camps.  That happened but not in the manner I thought would take place.

In fact, even though I was the first born of my parents and had "done all the right things" those opportunities were very slow in coming.  Instead, God took me through some really hard places and He allowed no "shortcuts" or "passes" to be given to me.  

God began with me by developing my character.  I like what Andy Stanley has said, "We can't grow faster than our character can sustain us."  Leaders without character are committing spiritual suicide.

My growth has been slow and steady allowing my character to grow into the positions that God has placed me in.

Micah writes during a very difficult time of Israel.  He wanted God to come and rescue them.  He was waiting and waiting for his prayers to be answered.  He knew God was going to hear him, but like us, he didn't like the waiting.

Are you having some patience issues right now?  Are you having to wait for prayers to be answered for health, family, fiances, etc., etc.?

Notice what Isaiah says, "But they who wait for the Lord shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings like eagles; they shall run and not be weary; they shall walk and not faint. (‭Isaiah‬ ‭40‬:‭31‬ ESV)

Someone once said "good things happen for those who wait." That is true if your hope is in the right place or person.  Micah and Isaiah were waiting for God to come through. They were not dependent on man to be the answer for their solutions.

Look at Jeremiah's prayer in Lamentations - "It is good that one should wait quietly for the salvation of the Lord. It is good for a man that he bear the yoke in his youth. Let him sit alone in silence when it is laid on him; let him put his mouth in the dust— there may yet be hope; let him give his cheek to the one who strikes, and let him be filled with insults. For the Lord will not cast off forever," (‭Lamentations‬ ‭3‬:‭26-31‬ ESV)

He says it is "good that one should wait."  Waiting and patience make your stronger.  Trials fortify and help us when the really big storms come.

Micah 7:8 reiterates that no matter how dark and how deep things might be in your life - don't give up, give or let the enemy think he has won.  We are reminded that God WILL COME THROUGH for us.  God will be our light.

The steps of a man are established by the Lord, when he delights in his way; though he fall, he shall not be cast headlong, for the Lord upholds his hand. (‭Psalm‬ ‭37‬:‭23-24‬ ESV)

For the righteous falls seven times and rises again, but the wicked stumble in times of calamity. (‭Proverbs‬ ‭24‬:‭16‬ ESV)

Don't be discouraged.  Don't give up.  Don't think God has given up on you.  Your day is coming.  Your time is coming.  God will come through for you - BELIEVE THAT!

No comments:

Post a Comment