Tuesday, December 2, 2014

A MANDATE FROM GOD - JUST LOVE PEOPLE


Therefore we are comforted. And besides our own comfort, we rejoiced still more at the joy of Titus, because his spirit has been refreshed by you all. For whatever boasts I made to him about you, I was not put to shame. But just as everything we said to you was true, so also our boasting before Titus has proved true. And his affection for you is even greater, as he remembers the obedience of you all, how you received him with fear and trembling.
(‭2 Corinthians‬ ‭7‬:‭13-15‬ ESV)

Have you ever wondered what people say after being in your presence?  Are they glad that they saw you or are they glad that you are gone?  It would be interesting to listen in on those conversations - or not (depending on what they have to say).

This passage in 2 Corinthians talks about a man named Titus. He was a Gentile man who served with Paul.  He is mentioned 13x's in the New Testamment (but not in the Book of Acts).  Titus was probably the bearer of the severe letter that came to the Corinthians church by the hand of Paul - rebuking them for their sin and disobedience.

This was stratgetically planned as Titus was a person who would be able to deliver some "bad news" in such a way that the people felt "comforted."

Notice the things said about Titus - "his affection for you is even greater" and "he remembers the obedience of you all."  His "spirit" was refreshed by you all.

He had a God-given love for the people who were walking in sin and disobedience.  He was able to bring a "scolding" to them and yet he was able to reach down and put his arm around them letting them know that he loved them.

Everyday I'm given the opportunity to love unloveables - people who have a hardness around them and would rather push you away rather than draw you in.  Sometimes - the love only goes one way with no return back to the sender.

I try to grow my abilities in life to be a better husband, father, teacher/ pastor, etc.  I think that is good and commendable for any of us.  But when it comes to loving others - it's not just something I do - it's a mandate from God for my life.

A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another. (‭John‬ ‭13‬:‭34‬ ESV)

Everyone who believes that Jesus is the Christ has been born of God, and everyone who loves the Father loves whoever has been born of him. (‭1 John‬ ‭5‬:‭1‬ ESV)

If I am going to be known for anything - I want to be known as someone who loved people - all people.  I know I'm still growing in this respect and I probably have a long way to go but I know this - when we love as God loved us - it is then that we are most like God for GOD IS LOVE.

No comments:

Post a Comment