Friday, November 22, 2013

IS YOUR ATTITUDE IN THE RIGHT PLACE ABOUT YOUR JOB?

Bondservants, obey your earthly masters with fear and trembling, with a sincere heart, as you would Christ, not by the way of eye-service, as people-pleasers, but as bondservants of Christ, doing the will of God from the heart, rendering service with a good will as to the Lord and not to man, knowing that whatever good anyone does, this he will receive back from the Lord, whether he is a bondservant or is free. (Ephesians 6:5-8 ESV)

When I was around 10 or 11 years old I had my first job - mowing my neighbors yard and I got $3.00 per week.  Slowly, I started doing other houses too and in a sense had my own little business.  My dad had instilled a good work ethic in me by teaching me how to do a good job on our own lawn and I was able to carry those principles into that first job and every job that I've had since then.  

It's interesting in looking back after all these years that I've noticed that there are two types of employees - 1- Those who work just to live - those who just come to work just to pick up a paycheck and go home, and 2- Those who come to work with a sense of purpose and meaning.  These are those who are not just working for their earthly bosses but are working for something higher and bigger than themselves - for some purpose and plan that serves mankind with a God-type purpose.  These are those who see their paycheck as a way to fulfill their ministry in life and not just to pay the bills.  Yes, they need to pay the bills but they also see their lives has having purpose and a mission that is from God Himself.  These people know that when they are work they are trying to please God and not man - that they are bondservants of God and are endeavoring to do God's will.  They come with a sense of destiny and mission to work everyday.  It might be cleaning some toilets or picking up papers from the parking lot or giving food to the needy but it's all about pleasing God our Father.

May I encourage you today to reaccess the reason you go to work - is it to just get a paycheck or is it to serve a purpose that is bigger than your life?  Are you being a man pleaser - doing and saying the things that will impress your boss?  Or, are you a person that is ultimately serving God and His mission of touching and ministering to a broke and hurting world.  

I pray that God would change your heart today and give you a sense of purpose and thanksgiving for the opportunity to serve Him today where your are and whatever you are doing.

No comments:

Post a Comment