Wednesday, November 20, 2013

HOW TO BE A GREAT AND GODLY PARENT OR GRANDPARENT

Children, obey your parents in the Lord, for this is right. “Honor your father and mother” (this is the first commandment with a promise), “that it may go well with you and that you may live long in the land.” Fathers, do not provoke your children to anger, but bring them up in the discipline and instruction of the Lord. (Ephesians 6:1-4 ESV)

Fortunately, as a child, I was given a good role model in regards to what a godly father was like in order that I also might be a good father and grandfather to my kids and grandkids.  There are a number of areas where people fail in life but these two things should not be one of them.  We MUST learn how to be a good child and we MUST learn how to be a godly parent.  The way that we have treated our parents will in many aspects be reflective of how we will relate to our Heavenly Father in heaven.  And, the way we father our children often is a reflection of how we view how God has been a father to us and our personal lives.

Fathers are instructed in this passage to "not provoke your children to wrath."  I've seen fathers do this in so many way - like teasing their children to the point of frustration.  I've seen fathers give in to fits of anger to the point of yelling and screaming and even beating their children.  And, I've seen fathers provoke their children by making unreasonable demands on them causing them to be provoked.

Instead, the scriptures tell us to "them bring up in the nurture and admonition of The Lord."

You might ask "How do I do that - what do I need to do?"  I believe some of the answers are found in
Deuteronomy 4:9...  "Only take heed to thyself, and keep thy soul diligently, lest thou forget the things which thine eyes have seen, and lest they depart from thy heart all the days of thy life: but teach them to thy sons, and thy sons' sons;"

Notice the principles:

1. Keeping your soul with all diligence. They are going to learn more by your example more than any other way.

2. Don't forget all that the Lord has done for you.

3. Teach them to your sons and your sons' sons.  It is sad that the mighty works of God are difficult to transmit to the next generation.

The truth is, I have been given the help and strength and authority to do just that.  God has given me His Word to instruct me and help me lead in the right and godly way.   I can influence many future generations  because I am following the examples that have laid down before me.

The way to do this is by the power of God.  As I come alongside God's power, even with my weaknesses and mistakes - God takes over and and brings blessing to my children and grandchildren, even in spite of me.

Here's the key...

Deuteronomy 6:7 And thou shalt teach them diligently unto thy children, and shalt talk of them when thou sittest in thine house, and when thou walkest by the way, and when thou liest down, and when thou risest up.

May God richly bless and give you the grace to be the most godly parent to your children that you can possible be!

No comments:

Post a Comment