Friday, April 8, 2016

WHERE IS THE GLORY?


Eli’s daughter-in-law, the wife of Phinehas, was pregnant and near her time of delivery. When she heard that the Ark of God had been captured and that her father-in-law and husband were dead, she went into labor and gave birth. She died in childbirth, but before she passed away the midwives tried to encourage her. “Don’t be afraid,” they said. “You have a baby boy!” But she did not answer or pay attention to them. She named the child Ichabod (which means “Where is the glory?”), for she said, “Israel’s glory is gone.” She named him this because the Ark of God had been captured and because her father-in-law and husband were dead. Then she said, “The glory has departed from Israel, for the Ark of God has been captured.” 1 Samuel‬ ‭4:19-22‬ ‭NLT‬‬

Where is the glory? That was a good question then and it is a good question now.

Unlike many people who come to church now days, I am a little different in that I was raised in church from my birth on.  I think I was around 3 days old when I went to my first service.

Having said that, I have seen many things over my lifetime - especially when it comes to experiencing God’s presence.

I have been in many services where the presence of God is so “thick” that you can barely get out of your seat.  I have seen miracles and victories that make your spirit soar with faith.

But where is the glory now?  Yes, I still see God moving and I still feel His presence but it seems that experiencing that deep overwhelming presence of God is so somewhat of a novelty now.

The phrase “glory of God” comes from a Hebrew word “Phaneim” meaning the “face of God.”  This speaks of an intimacy with God - as in God turning to speak to you “face to face.”

Then Moses said, “If you don’t personally go with us, don’t make us leave this place.” Exodus‬ ‭33:15‬ ‭NLT‬‬

 There is another word called “Kabowd” which means "glory or  weight.”

Exodus 40:34 (NLT) 34 Then the cloud covered the Tabernacle, and the glory of the LORD filled the Tabernacle. 

Romans 3:23 (NLT) 23 For everyone has sinned; we all fall short of God’s glorious standard. 

God is basically saying "I will bring my presence among you and my weight will be upon you.  It will stamp upon you. It is that which comes into our midst with such a force that it makes a mark upon everyone in that place.”

So... glory has to do with countenance, sustenance, power, weight.

The Bible is filled with pictures of what God’s glory looked like:

- Adam and Eve were clothed in the glory. They did not know what their garments were made of.  Sin revealed their nakedness.  

- God's glory was then in the temple (tabernacle) – God made a covenant with His people that His glory would rest there.  The priest fell under the power (weight) of God's glory.

GOD'S PROMISE  "I will dwell in your midst."

Isaiah 4:5-6 (NLT) 5 Then the LORD will provide shade for Mount Zion and all who assemble there. He will provide a canopy of cloud during the day and smoke and flaming fire at night, covering the glorious land. 6 It will be a shelter from daytime heat and a hiding place from storms and rain. 

This was a prophecy that whenever we meet in an assembly together that God's glory would be prevalent. 

Isaiah 60:1 "Arise, shine for the glory of the Lord has risen upon you."

Acts 2:4 (NLT) And everyone present was filled with the Holy Spirit and began speaking in other languages, as the Holy Spirit gave them this ability. 


This glory spilled out to the church - A sign  tongues of flames rested upon them.  This was a token manifestation of God's glory.

Now…We know the gift of glory is upon us.  We know the grace of glory is with us.  But to walk in obedience to glory is often another thing.

The increase of God's glory in us can only be by the ongoing work of the Holy Spirit to free us from bondages we carry  (flesh, fear, failure, success, the past, etc.)

This is elaborated in II Corinthians 3:411
     
2 Corinthians 3:17-18 (NLT) 17 For the Lord is the Spirit, and wherever the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom. 18 So all of us who have had that veil removed can see and reflect the glory of the Lord. And the Lord—who is the Spirit—makes us more and more like him as we are changed into his glorious image. 

CHANGE - Transformed  gr. metamorphis – It is the concept of a caterpillar and butterfly.  There is an ongoing transformation taking place in us.
     
2 Corinthians 4:16-18 (NLT) 16 That is why we never give up. Though our bodies are dying, our spirits are being renewed every day. 17 For our present troubles are small and won’t last very long. Yet they produce for us a glory that vastly outweighs them and will last forever! 18 So we don’t look at the troubles we can see now; rather, we fix our gaze on things that cannot be seen. For the things we see now will soon be gone, but the things we cannot see will last forever. 

Glory – Greek - doxa – “splendor/ bright.”

Do you have a desire to know God?  To know His ways?  Do you want to line up with His will? Do you want to experience the Glory Of God?

Notice that Moses is the first student of the glory to say "Show me Thy Glory."

Adam wore the glory of God and walked in it.  Abraham followed and feared the glory.  Jacob encountered the glory of as he wrestled all night with an angel.

All these men were in touch with the glory of God but it is only Moses who sought after the glory.  He had a passion for it  v.15.  "If your presence won't go with us we won't go any further."

I pray that God so fills my life that His presence just “oozes” out of me.  That people would see and experience the “glory of God” that I have experienced and continue to experience.

I desire for this now generation (my kids and grandkids)  to experience God’s glory and presence in their lives.  I desire that we never have to ask the question “Where is the glory?”

I am hungry for more of God and His presence in my life and in the church that I pastor.  I am contending for “more” of God and His presence in my life.

I stand on this promise today - Colossians 1:27  "...Christ in you is the hope of Glory..."





No comments:

Post a Comment