Thursday, April 21, 2016

SAYING THE RIGHT THINGS


May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be pleasing to you, O LORD, my rock and my redeemer.” Psalms‬ ‭19:14‬ ‭NLT‬‬

Have you ever said the wrong thing?  Have you ever opened your mouth and said something that you wish you immediately take back?

I know I have - lots of times!  My mouth has got me in so much trouble that I’ve had to repent over and over again.

I think that’s why I like this verse so much from Psalms.  It is a prayer of surrender of my mouth and heart with an intent to say only what is pleasing to God.

David knew that real godliness was not only a matter of what a man did, but also of what he said and thought in his heart.

Just like you and I - David wasn’t perfect. He made lots of mistakes that he regretted and wished to have a do over.  But he always came back to God.  He knew the transforming power of God.

At the end of the day he wanted to be that man that was saying and doing the right things.  He wanted to “be pleasing” to God.

He referred to God as his rock and redeemer.  He knew he needed a Redeemer and that our faithful God would help and rescue him.

He knew that God's strength is like a mighty rock that rescues us and gives us a firm standing place.

The Redeemer is that great Hebrew word goel, the kinsman-redeemer. It was the goel who bought his relative out of slavery; who rescued him in bankruptcy and total loss. King David looked to God Himself as his kinsman-redeemer.

"If our Rock were not our Redeemer, we should be without hope. If our Redeemer were not our Rock, we still might we be afraid. (Morgan)

“The tongue can bring death or life; those who love to talk will reap the consequences.”‭‭Proverbs‬ ‭18:21‬ ‭NLT‬‬

“Don’t use foul or abusive language. Let everything you say be good and helpful, so that your words will be an encouragement to those who hear them.” Ephesians‬ ‭4:29‬ ‭NLT‬‬

“Kind words are like honey— sweet to the soul and healthy for the body.”Proverbs‬ ‭16:24‬ ‭NLT‬‬

Fast forward to tonight.  As you get in bed, will you be able to be at peace about your words during this day?  Will your words have been pleasing to God?

People tell me often that can’t help what they say - that it just comes out.  May I encourage to allow the “rock and redeemer” to help you and give you words that will be pleasing to God and those you around today.  God will help you if you just ask Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment