Wednesday, April 20, 2016

HOW TO BE TOTALLY FREE


So if the Son sets you free, you are truly free.” John‬ ‭8:36‬ ‭NLT‬‬

As I was contemplating this morning I was struck at how good God is and all the blessings that have come my way, which are innumerable.  I count my blessings everyday of how good God is and has been to me.  He has freed my in so many ways.

But it wasn’t always that way.  Even though I’ve been a Christian for most of my life, there were seasons where I was angry at God at some of the things that He allowed in my life.  As a result, I walked in much bondage.

Most people wouldn’t have noticed because I kept this happy go-lucky attitude on the outside but on the inside I was dying.

Now I look back and thank God for my journey and the places and people that God has allowed to interact with me, both good and bad.

At the time I wasn’t able to see the whole picture but God did.  He knew exactly what I needed and led me in the way that was best for my life.

I look at Christians nowadays and see some of the same things that I often struggled with in my life - unforgiveness, bitterness, anger, impurities, unhappy, depressed, etc., etc.

The early Corinthian Church also struggled with bondage.  They were a vibrant Christian Church but yet they were in bondage.  This is why the Book Of 1 Corinthians was written.

Look at these verses about different people in the Bible that struggled with bondage.

Paul - “I am shocked that you are turning away so soon from God, who called you to himself through the loving mercy of Christ...” Galatians‬ ‭1:6‬ ‭NLT‬‬

Galatians 2:9-14 tells us that these Galatians were going back to their old ways.

David brought bondage in his life because of his impurities.  Psalm 5 is his prayer of forgiveness.

1 Kings 19 tells us that Elijah was in bondage because he was afraid of Jezebel.

So, why are people in bondage?  

The answer lies in the fact that most people don’t understand the freedom from guilt and sin that God gives.  People don’t understand what God does with our forgiven sins (He takes it completely away.)

Some people are in bondage because they choose to carry their own loads rather than allowing God to do that.

Take my yoke upon you. Let me teach you, because I am humble and gentle at heart, and you will find rest for your souls.” Matthew‬ ‭11:29‬ ‭NLT‬‬

“The LORD himself will fight for you. Just stay calm.”” Exodus‬ ‭14:14‬ ‭NLT‬‬

Some people are bondage because they can’t accept themselves and then in turn can’t accept others.

Isaiah 61:1 tells us that it is our calling in life to bring people out of bondage - whether it be to themselves or to the world.

The pathway to freedom is found in John 8:31-32…

“Jesus said to the people who believed in him, “You are truly my disciples if you remain faithful to my teachings. And you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.”” John‬ ‭8:31-32‬ ‭NLT‬‬

It is by getting into God’s word and finding out the truth about you and your life.  It is then that you are truly God’s disciples.  “The truth will set you free.”

Hebrews 4:12 tells us that God’s Word is living and active.

John tells us that the Word convicts us of our sin.  It is like a mirror - it shows us where we are and where we should be.

Acts 20:32 tells us that the Word builds us up.

Psalm 107:20 tells that the Word brings healing to our lives.

The list could go on and on.

The Word declares to us that “When the Son sets us free - we are free indeed!”  What a great promise.

Why are we given freedom?  It is so we can serve God better.

“Now you are free from your slavery to sin, and you have become slaves to righteous living.

Romans 6:18 (NLT) 18  Now you are free from your slavery to sin, and you have become slaves to righteous living.




“And because you belong to him, the power of the life-giving Spirit has freed you from the power of sin that leads to death.” Romans‬ ‭8:2‬ ‭NLT‬‬


“Now the Lord is the Spirit; and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.” II Corinthians‬ ‭3:17‬ ‭NKJV‬‬


Stand fast therefore in the liberty by which Christ has made us free, and do not be entangled again with a yoke of bondage.” Galatians‬ ‭5:1‬ ‭NKJV‬‬

I know that God has set me free and that He can do it for you also.  I pray God’s abundance and blessings will come to you in freedom to your whole being.  I pray that as you apply His Word to your heart and life that GOD WOULD TOTALLY SET YOU FREE TODAY!  I ask this in Jesus’ strong name.  Amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment