Wednesday, March 30, 2016

THE BATTLEFIELD OF THE MIND


Philippians 2:5 (NKJV) Let this mind be in you which was also in Christ Jesus.

Let's be honest for a minute: Keeping your mind on track and focused is a difficult task.

"Stuff" happens and our minds like to wander down rabbit trails.

Like many people, I got hit hard with the "cold bug" over the last few weeks.  There were days where every part of my body hurt - even my eyeballs and my hair.  (I'm not sure if the latter is possible but it hurt to just touch my head.)

If the sickness was the only thing - that would have been fine but my mind starting going into overdrive about my life and all I could hear was the negatives getting louder and louder.  At every turn I was a failure.

I tried to push through it.  I tried to get the victory.  All I could do is sit, mope, watch TV and mope some more.  On top of that Denise and I were starting to get at each other over the littlest things.

Sound familiar?

Our mind and its imaginations get us into a lot of trouble.  This is the place where much sin abides.  It is the place of which we need to gain control.  it is a war zone of many lies.

Notice what the Bible has to say about our minds:

1 Peter 1:13 (NKJV) 13  Therefore gird up the loins of your mind, be sober, and rest your hope fully upon the grace that is to be brought to you at the revelation of Jesus Christ; 

The NASB Bible tells us that we need to "gird up the loins of our mind" for actions.

We can't allow our minds to become soft and flabby.

This is a vivid phrase.  In the east, men wore long flowing robes which hindered fast progress or strenuous action.  

Around their waist they wore a broad belt or girdle; and when strenuous action was necessary, they shortened the long robe by pulling it up within the belt in order to give them freedom of movement.

Peter is telling his people that they must be ready for the most strenuous mental endeavors.  They must never be content with a flabby and unexamined mind. They must set to think things out and think them through.

It may be that we will have to discard some things.  It may be that we will make mistakes.  But as we strive to have the "mind of Christ," (Philippians 2:5), our hearts and minds will be "guarded" through the power of Jesus Himself (Philippians 4:7)

V. 13 tells us that we need to rest our hope on Jesus Christ.

This is the ONLY solution for flabby and worrisome minds.  It is the ONLY solution to have good mental health.

Philippians 4:8 (NKJV) 8  Finally, brethren, whatever things are true, whatever things are noble, whatever things are just, whatever things are pure, whatever things are lovely, whatever things are of good report, if there is any virtue and if there is anything praiseworthy--meditate on these things. 

Our problem:  We do just the opposite.  2 Corinthians 10:5 tells us that we need to cast down vain arguments and bring every thought into the captivity of Christ.

You can beat the depression today and you can beat the "blues" that have overtaken you.

Last night my wife said something to me that really got me. She said, Where's your joy?"  She could see the negativity all over me.

I woke up this morning and decided that it's a new day and that my mind was going to be in God's hands.  "The joy of the Lord is my strength!"

I decided to move on.

I love how God speaks to the Children Of Israel.  He speaks frankly and forthrightly.  He tells them exactly how things are going.

Notice His admonition to them in the Book of Deuteronomy:

Deuteronomy 1:6 (NKJV) 6  "The LORD our God spoke to us in Horeb, saying: 'You have dwelt long enough at this mountain. 

That's a message from God to many of you today.  You have dwelt long enough in your negative, stinking thinking.  It's time to pick up your bags and move on.  It's time for you to get back what God intends for you to have.  It's time for you have some joy in your life again.  

God flooded my soul today and wants to flood your heart and mind also.

May God give a day of peace and joy and of a sound mind!  
Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment