Tuesday, March 15, 2016

WHY PRAY?


Matthew 7:7-8 (NLT) 7  “Keep on asking, and you will receive what you ask for. Keep on seeking, and you will find. Keep on knocking, and the door will be opened to you. 8  For everyone who asks, receives. Everyone who seeks, finds. And to everyone who knocks, the door will be opened.

I love to pray.  I grew up watching my parents praying and seeking God on a daily basis.  Some of my earliest memories as a young child are of both of my parents on their knees praying as I would wake up every morning.  They modeled prayer and they taught us to pray also.  It is what I modeled for my children and even my grandkids.  I believe in prayer.

You might ask – Why do we need to ask God for anything?  That is a good question. 

The number 1 reason we ask is because God is our father and we are His children (not adopted).  And, God enjoys giving to His children.

Our scripture encourages us that God is a good God and enjoys giving good gifts to His children.  (Just like you and I do for our own children). As His children we have been given the right to enter His throne room on a daily basis and ask for our needs.

Matthew 7 teaches us to ASK (as a child would ask His Father).  

1 John 5:14 tells us that we need to ask “according to His will.”  The only way to pray according to His will is to get to know God in an intimate level of relationship.

As an example – every family has rules that need to be abided by.  Get to know God and the family rules and then you will be able to ask “according to God’s Will.”

We should also ASK with specifics in mind.  James tells us that we don’t get what we are praying for because we ask “amiss.”  We’re all over the map when we pray.

We must ASK with persistence also.  Many people pray one time and when God doesn’t answer they give up wondering why Jesus doesn’t answer prayer.  

Read through Luke 11:5-8 and you will see about an answered prayer through much PERSISTENCE.

My problem is that I want what I want right now.  But God says, “Some things need to wait.”  God will either say, “no,” or “yes,” or "later."

We all want God to answer our prayers immediately but we need to remember that the timing is always in God’s hands.  My heavenly father knows what is best for me.  We don’t always know what God is doing on our behalf.

I rest in that my father knows what is best for me then I feel protected.  He promises to give only good gifts to me.

The second reason we ask is because God desires that we ask.

There are many scriptures that support His desire as a father to have us as children come to Him but I especially love Psalm 91 and how it speaks to us in regards to prayer…

Psalm 91:14-16 (NLT) 14  The LORD says, “I will rescue those who love me. I will protect those who trust in my name. 15  When they call on me, I will answer; I will be with them in trouble. I will rescue and honor them. 16  I will reward them with a long life and give them my salvation.”

Lastly, the reason we ask is this – It draws us closer to God.

Jeremiah 31:3 (NLT) 3  Long ago the LORD said to Israel: “I have loved you, my people, with an everlasting love. With unfailing love I have drawn you to myself.

James 4:8 (NLT) 8  Come close to God, and God will come close to you. Wash your hands, you sinners; purify your hearts, for your loyalty is divided between God and the world.


God answers prayer.  I know that for a fact.  He desires for you to call out to Him and He so wants to answer your prayers.  

I don’t know why God answers one way or the other but I do know that the process of prayer is what helps me to see God more and it is what draws me closer and closer to Him everyday.

No comments:

Post a Comment