Wednesday, March 9, 2016

WHEN GOD DOESN'T ANSWER YOUR PRAYERS


Even though I have received such wonderful revelations from God. So to keep me from becoming proud, I was given a thorn in my flesh, a messenger from Satan to torment me and keep me from becoming proud. Three different times I begged the Lord to take it away. Each time he said, “My grace is all you need. My power works best in weakness.” So now I am glad to boast about my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ can work through me. That’s why I take pleasure in my weaknesses, and in the insults, hardships, persecutions, and troubles that I suffer for Christ. For when I am weak, then I am strong.” 2 Corinthians‬ ‭12:7-10‬ ‭NLT‬‬

I’ve been a Christian for a lot of years and have learned a lot God and His ways. I really thought I knew His ways and thoughts but the day my grandson died I grew in my understanding of God.  I learned that God was SOVEREIGN and that He will do what He thinks is best and that there are some things in life that I will never know or get the answers that I want.

I wish that I had learned that lesson earlier in life.

Before my grandson died I prayed and fasted and did everything I thought was right.  He still died.  Even now, my heart breaks to remember my daughter cradling him in her arms as he took his last breath.  The grief was unbearable. I don’t wish that experience on anybody.

Now, looking back I realize that God used that experience in so many powerful ways that in turn has been a blessing to others that are going through difficult circumstances in their own life.

Paul relates in this passage of scripture to us by saying he prayed three times for God to take away this “thorn in the flesh.”

We don’t know what that thorn was.  It could have been a sickness or a disease or it could have been the many religious leaders that we're bringing him opposition.  Whatever it was, Paul prayed for it to go away and it didn’t.

God didn’t answer his prayer but told him “My grace is all you need. My power works best in weakness.”

Quite honestly, it is in our weakness that God can use us.  Our strengths often become God’s rival. I’ve heard it said, “Man’s extremities are God’s opportunities.  Man’s security is Satan’s opportunity.”  That is so true.

It is not God’s purpose to take us out of the trial but to teach us how to stand strong in the midst of the trial.

Isaiah understood this when he said… “I have refined you, but not as silver is refined. Rather, I have refined you in the furnace of suffering.” Isaiah‬ ‭48:10‬ ‭NLT‬‬

Again, look at what Paul said about God… “My power works best in weakness.”

It’s when we are against a wall, when things are not going our way and when life is hard and difficult that God works best in our lives.  

Again, God is Sovereign and He knows what is best for us.

Vv. 9-10 - “So now I am glad to boast about my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ can work through me. That’s why I take pleasure in my weaknesses, and in the insults, hardships, persecutions, and troubles that I suffer for Christ. For when I am weak, then I am strong.” 

The word “boast” means to take pleasure in, to delight in.  Who does that?  Who gets happy in having trials in their lives?

It is the person who is totally leaning and trusting in God.  It is a person who wants and desires for the power of Christ (no matter what we go through) to work or dwell in us.

The word “dwell” means to take up residence.  God wants to dwell “take up residence” in your life in the midst of whatever you are going through right now.

If God would have answered Paul’s prayer it would have brought temporary relief but would have not left any last results.  It would have only been a blessing to Paul alone.

Because God did not answer Paul’s prayer - it brought comfort to his life for the whole of his life and would then become a blessing and comfort to many people and many generations of people who are going through some sort of trial.

I know for a fact that God doesn’t answer all my prayers in life but I also know that He is God and He is Sovereign and that He knows what is best for all of us.

In the meantime, I get to daily trust in His presence and work in my life knowing that He sees the bigger picture that will bring Him the greatest glory.



No comments:

Post a Comment