Friday, August 1, 2014

THE GOD WHO SINGS OVER US

The Lord your God is in your midst, a mighty one who will save; he will rejoice over you with gladness; he will quiet you by his love; he will exult over you with loud singing. (‭Zephaniah‬ ‭3‬:‭17‬ ESV)

We are instructed in many passages of scripture to be people of praise and worship to God. If I were to take the time to read to you all the instructions to clap, shout, sing, play music instruments, this blog would take several hours to complete. It's what we've been instructed to do - it's what we love to do.

But did you know that God sings over you also? Did you know that that He is sitting in the heavens rejoicing over you also? Did you know that when you finally returned to God from you rebellious time that He "ran" to you? He had been waiting for you to come back and now He is singing over you.

Look at the lyrics of this song written by Benny Hester…

Almighty God, the great I am
Immovable rock, omnipotent, powerful, awesome Lord
Victorious warrior, commanding King of Kings
Mighty conqueror, and the only time
the only time I ever saw Him run

CHORUS:
Was when He ran to me, He took me in His arms
Held my head to His chest, said “My son’s come home again”
Lifted my face, wiped the tears from my eyes
With forgiveness in His voice He said,
“Son do you know I still love you?”
He caught me by surprise when God ran


The day I left home I knew I’d broken His heart
And I wondered then if things could ever be the same
Then one night I remembered His love for me
And down that dusty road ahead I could see
It was the only time – it was the only time I ever saw Him run

And then He ran to me, He took me in His arms
Held my head to His chest, said “My son’s come home again”
Lifted my face, wiped the tears from my eyes
With forgiveness in His voice He said,
“Son do you know I still love you?”
He caught me by surprise as He brought me to my knees
When God ran – I saw Him run to me

BRIDGE:
I was so ashamed, all alone and so far away
But now I know He’s been waiting for this day

I saw Him run to me, He took me in His arms
Held my head to His chest, said “My son’s come home again”
Lifted my face, wiped the tears from my eyes

With forgiveness in His voice I felt His love for me again
He ran to me, He took me in His arms
Held my head to His chest, said “My son’s come home again”
Lifted my face, wiped the tears from my eyes
With forgiveness in His voice He said, “Son”, He called me Son
He said, “Son do you know I still love you?”
He ran to me and then I ran to Him
When God ran


Here with a God who runs to us… Look at how He ran… Look at Jesus, it was Jesus who told us the story in Luke15 - Lost sheep, Lot coin, lost son… all of them story of a search for precious lost items… when items found, there was joy, with a blow-out party… Jesus gave us a picture here that God is just running for us.

In this prophecy from Zephaniah - it is a picture of how God really feels toward you - of how God really wants to treat us, how He is just so please to have us in His arms…

The Lord your God is in your midst, a mighty one who will save; he will rejoice over you with gladness; he will quiet you by his love; he will exult over you with loud singing. (‭Zephaniah‬ ‭3‬:‭17‬ ESV)

Change the picture you have of God - if it is a picture of a distant father, uninvolved, uncaring, abusive, who seem to have set his sights on you to make sure you stay miserable, bored that you want to end your life going on suicide pact with others on the internet. Change the picture, there is God, who loves you and sent Jesus, to find you and bring you home that He may sing over you, delighting, quieting you with His love. That’s what the cross is for He died for all our sins, yours and mine! Change the picture…

Colossians 3:2 (NLT) “Let heaven FILL your THOUGHTS. Do not think only about things down here on earth.”

Meditate on the heavenly picture of God singing over you! Let this thought dominate, just bring you to your knees. So that nothing corrupt enters in. If anything corrupt does enter in, time to fess up, time to get clean with a God who is mighty to save, takes great delight in you, come back home. Picture this God jumping up and down, saying oh yeah, throwing a party with you as the guest of honor. Let this picture of heaven be in you.

God is crazy in love with you right now. He is watching your every move and celebrating your every victory. He is singing with joy over you right now!

It's interesting - on Valentine's Day, couple's swoon over each other with gifts and niceties. Wouldn't it be cool if we treated every day like Valentine's day with each other. But that's how God is showing his love over you right now. He is so in love with you today and every day. He wants to bestow good gifts over you and bring blessings to your life.

Your God, my God, is singing over us today because He is SO in love with us and delights in us. He is not this God who is far away throwing lightening bolts in my direction but is this God who happy and joyful and is singing wonderful love songs over each and every one of us. You and I fill His thoughts each and every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment