Wednesday, August 13, 2014

ROBIN WILLIAMS AND DEPRESSION

For I will restore health to you, and your wounds I will heal, declares the Lord, because they have called you an outcast: ‘It is Zion, for whom no one cares!’ (‭Jeremiah‬ ‭30‬:‭17‬ ESV)

Like many people, I was saddened by the death of the comedic actor Robin Williams the other day.  Apparently his depression was so deep that he ended up taking his own life rather than face the pain that he was having to endure.

If you are a regular reader of my blogs or you have sat under my ministry over the years you will know that I talk openly about the great depression that I once had and the pain and sorrow that I went through.  The darkness was so deep and prolonged that I had to completely step away from ministry for a season to find healing for my soul.

As I read of Robin Williams death I was reminded how dark depression can be and the hopelessness of one's soul in times like that.  I was reminded also of the God who picked me up and brought healing to my soul.

The following is a sermon I did a number of years ago as I was in recovery mode from depression.  I was trying to find answers for my own life as well as finding help for others.  I think this is worthy of attentive reading as a reminder of what deperession is and the path of healing that God often brings our way.  It is a little lengthy but I think it will be helpful to someone today.

Dealing With Depression

We all feel depressed from time to time and it’s not easy to deal with. Feelings of abandonment, betrayal or an illness can take its toll mentally and emotionally.  Everyone is susceptible male or female, Christians or non-Christians. In fact, the Bible tells of us such who have gone through depression.

Notice what Moses said to God in his moment of despair:

Numbers 11:14-15 (NLT) I can’t carry all these people by myself! The load is far too heavy! (15) If this is how you intend to treat me, just go ahead and kill me. Do me a favor and spare me this misery!” 

Job, Elijah, King David and many others cried out to God to help them in their depressin. Even Jesus got depressed in the garden of Gethsemane where He was in deep despair.

King David wrote:

Psalms 69:1-3 (NLT) Save me, O God, for the floodwaters are up to my neck. (2) Deeper and deeper I sink into the mire; I can’t find a foothold. I am in deep water, and the floods overwhelm me. (3) I am exhausted from crying for help; my throat is parched. My eyes are swollen with weeping, waiting for my God to help me. 

So with this, we know that….

DEPRESSION IS NO RESPECTOR OF PERSONS.

Understanding what causes depression is the first step. Then as we learn biblical directives, hope and healing follow.

One thing I want you to know that I am not a medical doctor giving you some medical diagnosis.
                                           
FOUR POSSIBLE CAUSES

Depression is like pouring melted butter down the drain of your kitchen sink and chasing it with cold water. Eventually the sink will not flow or function very well. Instead it becomes clogged.

The same is true with depression. We get mentally and emotionally clogged up, making it difficult to see and think straight. We may either gain weight if our tendency is to eat when stressed. Or we’ll lose weight if we deprive ourselves of food.

In severe depression, suicide is a possibility.  So what are the possible causes for depression?  The first is a sense of…
                                   
GREAT LOSS.

There may be a significant loss in life mainly those from childhood. A classic case would be a person living in an abusive family or a family with alcoholism. Usually there is negativity, rejection and hurtful criticism. This in turn sets the stage for someone to be depressed during childhood and later in life.

Another loss could also be a physical loss like loosing a spouse or a family member. Still another kind of loss could be loss of wishes, hopes or dreams – like a broken expectation.

Then the second possible cause of depression is…

UNRESOLVED ISSUES.

Again, this goes back to childhood. Our parents weren’t perfect people and nor were their parents. We don’t want to blame anyone, but many of our problems were caused by sin. Whether it is our own sin or people sinning against us - sin causes losses and deaths in life.

God says, “The wages of sin is death.”(Rom.6:23)  

Now when there’s a death in society, we usually go through a grieving process. However, if we don’t grieve, our emotions stay pent up inside us. We become hard and take it out on ourselves. Mentally and emotionally we shutdown and get depressed, just as a clogged sink does. Yet another possible cause may be a…

CHEMICAL IMBALANCE.

An empty gas tank of a car would best illustrate a person with a chemical imbalance. Our brains react the same way with a neuro-transmitter chemical in our brain called erotonin and epinephrine. The main chemical serotonin is like gas in our brains. If serotonin is low, you’ll shut down and exhibit symptoms of depression, which are lack of concentration or motivation and dejection.

However, with proper diagnosis, medications are used to increase serotonin levels to help this chemical imbalance.

You may ask: Is it a sin or lack of faith to take medication to increase serotonin? The answer would be the same for example as for someone who is diabetic. We don’t humiliate them for taking insulin nor say they lack faith. Their body simply needs insulin to function. The same is true with a person who needs serotonin. The body needs it. Yet unlike insulin, you don’t have to stay on it for the rest of your life (except with certain conditions like bi-polar and other conditions that’s more chronic).

Usually medication is used to help a person through that period in order for them to work on different issues and resolve them. Thus it allows the body to naturally produce serotonin once again. And finally, the fourth possible cause of depression is…

PROLONGED FATIGUE

Tiredness can set you up for becoming prone to depression. We’re never more vulnerable to depression than when fatigued or over-tired. Therefore, taking care of the physical body is just as important as taking care of the spiritual body.

Understanding these four causes of depression will help us in dealing with it.

Now listen to what Jesus said to His disciples when they were weary, “Come away and rest for awhile”.

Psalms 40:1-2 (NLT) I waited patiently for the Lord to help me, and he turned to me and heard my cry. (2) He lifted me out of the pit of despair, out of the mud and the mire. He set my feet on solid ground and steadied me as I walked along.

Many years ago (when I first got married), I was invited by some friends to do go surfing in Huntington Beach. The waves were more than I could handle.  I eventually lost  my board, and my leash. While tossed to and fro, like any man of faith -- I cried to God, “I’m going to die!” My perception of which way to surface was off. In a moment of confusion, I’d lost all sense of direction after being hurled and twisted by powerful waves. As I literally cried out to God, I saw the bubbles from my mouth going into a direction which then made me realize was the way up! Desperately, I quickly swam following my bubbles and reached for surface gasping for air! I then thought, “Ah, I must remember this in the future! Just follow the bubbles!

Isn’t this so true in life? We are thrashed by storms, which cause a state of shock. Then confusion and depression set in and we just don’t know which way is up. Yet that’s when God hears our cries and has the power to lift our spirits up, give us strength, and a fresh hope in life again. I believe that  the Bible has much to say about how to cope and overcome the despair that depression brings.

Let’s look at Elijah and how he dealt with depression… 1 Kings 19

James 5:17 (NLT) Elijah was as human as we are, and yet when he prayed earnestly that no rain would fall, none fell for three and a half years! 

Elijah was a man with like passions as us - He had his ups and downs emotionally. Basically, he was a man of fire - when he prayed - things took place. Before every great work of God - He sends the Spirit of Elijah…

1 Kings 19:1-2 (NLT) When Ahab got home, he told Jezebel everything Elijah had done, including the way he had killed all the prophets of Baal. (2) So Jezebel sent this message to Elijah: “May the gods strike me and even kill me if by this time tomorrow I have not killed you just as you killed them.” 

V.1 - Every person/ church has a Jezebel in their life.

1 Kings 19:4 (NLT) Then he went on alone into the wilderness, traveling all day. He sat down under a solitary broom tree and prayed that he might die. “I have had enough, Lord,” he said. “Take my life, for I am no better than my ancestors who have already died.” 

I don't believe he wanted to die or he would have allowed Jezebel to do it.  He was just telling God that he was hurt and frustrated.

Have you ever wondered… “If God is so great - why are people so depressed, discouraged? Elijah was discouraged and wanted to die.

Psalm 42 - "Why are you cast down, O My soul, don't you hope in God?"

I could give you story after story of people who thought they wanted to die.  They would take their lives if they could be assured of not going to hell.

Many of these are men and women of God - but still battle discouragement in their minds.

Why Was Elijah Depressed?

1- Elijah had an unrealistic view of life.  He thought he was the only answer to the world’s problems.

I Kings 19:4 - "I am no better than my father..."  He wanted to be super human.

He liked the successes but couldn’t deal with the failures.

We get upset when God doesn't jump through our hoops and make every one bow down before us.

2- He ran from the problem. 

If he had just waited 24 more hours, he would have seen that Jezebel wasn't a true prophet and that God would be faithful to His promises.

You cannot afford to run from your problems…. Marital/ Financial/ Lack Of Success/ In-lawsWhen you run - you run right into discouragement. Depression is always rooted in some form of anger.

Example - Jonah/ Ninevah - Jonah 4:3 -  Why are you angry...? "O Lord, please take my life from me, for it is better for me to die than to live."

God... I'm doing all this - why don't you help out a little bit.  Jonah felt let down by God.

3- He violated God's law of limitations.

He felt God could only work through him.

1 Kings 19:14 (NLT) He replied again, “I have zealously served the Lord God Almighty. But the people of Israel have broken their covenant with you, torn down your altars, and killed every one of your prophets. I am the only one left, and now they are trying to kill me, too.”

In other words... if Elijah didn't do it - it would get done.

In chps. 17-18 we see Elijah pushing, pushing, pushing... until  he's finally exhausted - sitting under a juniper tree wanting to die.

Exhaustion is one of the greatest enemies of ministries today.

Learn to rest/ laugh/ enjoy life.

Romans 8:28 (NLT) And we know that God causes everything to work together for the good of those who love God and are called according to his purpose for them. 

Zechariah 4:6 (NLT) Then he said to me, “This is what the Lord says to Zerubbabel: It is not by force nor by strength, but by my Spirit, says the Lord of Heaven’s Armies.

How God Cured Elijah Of Depression  

God cured Elijah by:

1-Showing him His love - the same way he does to us.

When he was down - God gave Him rest and food. Today - you might think you are nothing - but God thinks you are special to Him.  "You're the apple of his eye..."

2- God gave him a spirit of honesty.  - 

He made him look at himself.

3- God was also a friend to Elijah –

"Why are you here..."

4- God gave Elijah a new commission - Para - "Go back to work..."

John 8:32 - "You shall know the truth and the truth shall set you free."

God wasn't in the fire/ earthquake/ smoke - but in the still small voice.

Do you know the God of the still small voice?  Or do you know only the God of the fire/ earthquake/ smoke, etc?

Remember - You're best days are yet ahead of you... Don't give up. Seek help.  Don't be afraid to reach out and admit that you are struggling. I'm here for you and know many others who will be also.

For I will restore health to you, and your wounds I will heal, declares the Lord, because they have called you an outcast: ‘It is Zion, for whom no one cares!’ (Jeremiah 30:17 ESV)

No comments:

Post a Comment