Tuesday, August 12, 2014

FINDING GOD IN BABYLON

For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for welfare and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will hear you. You will seek me and find me, when you seek me with all your heart. I will be found by you, declares the Lord, and I will restore your fortunes and gather you from all the nations and all the places where I have driven you, declares the Lord, and I will bring you back to the place from which I sent you into exile. (‭Jeremiah‬ ‭29‬:‭11-14‬ ESV)

Because of Israel's continued sin (they had been warned over and over) God had to do some drastic measures to help Israel come back to Him. The drastic measure... take them into captivity into Babylon.

God knew that their only hope was to bring them into circumstances so oppressive and difficult that it would eventually bring them back to Him. He knew that they had to go through a season - 70 years of breaking before they would eventually relent and turn back to God.

In the midst of their pain and discomfort Jeremiah sends a message to them that "God is with them and He was thinking about them."

Isn't that amazing... God was thinking about them and is thinking about you. They were oppressed and having a difficult time yet God was thinking about them. They were POW's in Babylon and yet God was thinking about them. They thought God had forgotten them and yet God was actually thinking about them.They were in a season of darkness and yet God was mindful of all that they were going through.

God had already appointed the day of their release. They wanted it immediately. They must wait 70 years. No rushing.

God had plans for them - plans of blessing and peace and prosperity - even in the midst of war.

How dare we chide and accuse God for abandoning us and allowing us to go through whatever trial we go through. He went with them (us) into the trial and stayed with them (us) and He went with them (us) out of the trial. He was (is) with them (us) all the time.

In the midst of whatever we go through - God is there but we must discover Him. "You will seek me and find me, when you seek me with all your heart." (‭Jeremiah‬ ‭29‬:‭13‬ ESV)

How often do we feel He has utterly forsaken us and has forgotten us. We can't understand the turn of evens. We cary and pray and nothing changes. We start crying "God were are you?"

Like Mary in the garden - He is standing next to us, unrecognized because our vision is blurred. When we finally focus in we discover that God was with us the whole time and we are filled with peace. We stop fighting our current situation and walk in the peace only He can give. We settle down and make the best of it. We are comforted. We take courage knowing that "The Lord is on my side and I will not fear what man will do to me."

In the case of Israel - he had already appointed the day of deliverance. He knew when their salvation would come. He knew when the trial would be over and they would get to go home.

Read this passage again and place your name in it. God knows and understands everything that you are going through. He knows how long that trial will last and He knows the plans He has for your future. Stop fighting Him and what you are going through. Accept the fact that no matter what - God is with and will be with you to the end.

For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for welfare and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will hear you. You will seek me and find me, when you seek me with all your heart. I will be found by you, declares the Lord, and I will restore your fortunes and gather you from all the nations and all the places where I have driven you, declares the Lord, and I will bring you back to the place from which I sent you into exile. (‭Jeremiah‬ ‭29‬:‭11-14‬ ESV)

No comments:

Post a Comment