Tuesday, August 26, 2014

THE BEAT OF A THANKFUL HEART

On the way to Jerusalem he was passing along between Samaria and Galilee. And as he entered a village, he was met by ten lepers, who stood at a distance and lifted up their voices, saying, “Jesus, Master, have mercy on us.” When he saw them he said to them, “Go and show yourselves to the priests.” And as they went they were cleansed. Then one of them, when he saw that he was healed, turned back, praising God with a loud voice; and he fell on his face at Jesus’ feet, giving him thanks. Now he was a Samaritan. Then Jesus answered, “Were not ten cleansed? Where are the nine? Was no one found to return and give praise to God except this foreigner?” And he said to him, “Rise and go your way; your faith has made you well.” (‭Luke‬ ‭17‬:‭11-19‬ ESV)

As I sit this morning my heart is filled with thanks to God for the journey that He has taken me through over the past week and a half.  Spending 4 nights in a hospital bed was definitely not on my "to do list."  I don't want to be like the 9 men who were healed by Jesus  and didn't come back to give thanks to God. I want to give thanks and have a grateful heart for all that God has done for me.

  • I am thankful to God, who in His sovereign mercy, has given me a second chance. He has given me a "wake-up" call to re-order some priorities in my life.
  • I am thankful for the nurses, doctors and many caretakers for their healing touch in my life.
  • I am thankful for the Christian nurses and therapist people who were not afraid to close the door and to pray with boldness over me and to follow up with a phone call the next day stating that I was in their prayers.  One nurse had a badge on that said, "Do you need prayer - ASK ME."  One therapist came in to talk to me.  The next thing I know was that the door was closed and she was praying with power and anointing over me for complete healing.
  • I am thankful for my wife who lovingly walked with me through the whole ordeal while dealing with her own elderly mom who is having health issues.
  • I am thankful for my daughters and their husbands and children who stepped in and came alongside us - for their cheering me up.
  • I am thankful for friends who came and just sat with me - even when I didn't have a lot to say.
  • I am thankful for my staff who stepped up and covered for me at the church and for a church who sends their love and prayers often.
  • I am thankful for the many persons that I had a chance to pray with during my stay in the hospital.  One woman, who worked at the hospital, came into my room and, after a few moments - she said, "I don't know what it is about you - but I feel so comfortable with you - I'm telling you things I've never told anyone else."  She went on to say, "I feel as if I'm talking to a priest."  Little did she know.
  • I'm thankful for the opportunity to just sit and to listen to sermons on my IPAD and to be refilled and refreshed with the presence of God in my life.

Think about all the blessings you've had in your life over the past few years and months.  Have you given thanks?  Do you need to write a letter of thanks to the people who have been a blessing to you?  Do you need to make a phone call?  Do you need to tell Father God thanks for seeing you through?

It is easy to become very inward and self-focused in life.  Slow down a little with me and lift your head up for a bit to great giver of blessings in your life today and just "Thanks God for everything you have done and are doing in my life."

May all of our hearts beat today with gratefulness and thanksgiving. May God fill your soul with satisfaction and may you find great rest at the feet of Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment