Wednesday, May 7, 2014

WORSHIP FROM A CAVE

My heart is steadfast, O God, my heart is steadfast! I will sing and make melody! (Psalm 57:7 ESV)

I underlined this scripture today with the idea that I might journal upon it today about the steadfast heart. As I started to dig deeper I begin to discover the deep treasures that are hidden throughout the whole chapter of Psalm 57. I think that you will be greatly blessed as you sit down and meditate along with me this morning about the wonderful words found here today.

As we come to Psalm 57, we’re given some helpful background information at the very beginning. David is on the run again, though the setting is before he became ruler, when King Saul is chasing him: “For the director of music. [To the tune of] “Do Not Destroy.” Of David. A miktam. When he fled from Saul into the cave.” David penned this poem while he was hiding out in a cave. The word, “miktam” means that these words are like a “golden ornament” to those of us who are overwhelmed with questions.

David could have questioned God, but instead he went on a quest to find God. Instead of wondering, He chose to worship. We can do the same thing as we follow the progression of his faith, from deep inside the cave, to the entrance, and then to the world. 

The Book of 1 Samuel gives us some background to Psalm 57 - David is filled with questions. He’s slain the giant Goliath. He’s been anointed to be the next king. He’s been promoted to a high rank in King Saul’s army. But there’s a problem. Saul has become extremely jealous as a result of hearing people sing this song, “Saul has slain his thousands, and David his tens of thousands.” Saul couldn’t take the fact that God’s hand of blessing was on David and so he was determined to wipe him out. Listen to 1 Samuel 18:8-9: “Saul was very angry; this refrain galled him. ‘They have credited David with tens of thousands,’ he thought, ‘but me with only thousands. What more can he get but the kingdom?’ And from that time on Saul kept a jealous eye on David.”

In 1 Samuel 24, Saul comes after David with 3,000 troops. As they searched among the ravines and rocks, they also explored the many caves that dotted the landscape. David is hiding deep inside a cavern with a few faithful followers, when he hears some noise at the mouth of the cave. As David makes his way through the shadows of the stalagmites, he spots Saul, who had come into the cave to relieve himself (yes, that’s actually in the Bible!).

Notice what David now does...

1. David Prayed For God's Mercy - Psalm 57:1-3

David could have questioned God, but instead he went on a quest to find God. Instead of wondering, He chose to worship. We can do the same thing as we follow the progression of his faith, from deep inside the cave, to the entrance, and then to the world.

Be merciful to me, O God, be merciful to me, for in you my soul takes refuge; in the shadow of your wings I will take refuge, till the storms of destruction pass by. (Psalm 57:1 ESV)

The last phrase of verse 1 is very comforting: “…until the storms of destruction pass by." David has confidence that this calamity will eventually blow over. He has to wait out the storm, and he can do so because he has sought refuge under the wings of God. Whatever you’re going through right now, run to God and take cover under His wings of protection. Hang on to Him and have confidence that the calamity will pass. David said a similar thing in Psalm 27:13: “I am still confident of this: I will see the goodness of the LORD in the land of the living.”

I cry out to God Most High, to God who fulfills his purpose for me. (Psalm 57:2 ESV)

When we’re in a tough spot, we must cry out to Him. Notice that David refers to God as the “Most High,” indicating that He is way above any problem and He controls all things. God is supreme, not Saul. Because God is sovereign, He fulfills, which means that he “brings to an end, completes, and perfects” his purposes for us. If you’re in a cave right now, God is not thwarted. He is working everything together for His glory and your ultimate good.

He will send from heaven and save me; he will put to shame him who tramples on me. Selah God will send out his steadfast love and his faithfulness! (Psalm 57:3 ESV)

David knows that his help comes from heaven in verse 3: God will show Himself true to all the promises He has made.

My soul is in the midst of lions; I lie down amid fiery beasts— the children of man, whose teeth are spears and arrows, whose tongues are sharp swords. Be exalted, O God, above the heavens! Let your glory be over all the earth! (Psalm 57:4, 5 ESV)

Wow! In the midst of trial - literally "in the midst of lions" David breaks out into praise to God. No matter what he's going through, and what will happen to him, he puts his attention on exalting God - who is above all else.

2. David Praise's God For His Majesty (6-8)

They set a net for my steps; my soul was bowed down. They dug a pit in my way, but they have fallen into it themselves. Selah My heart is steadfast, O God, my heart is steadfast! I will sing and make melody! Awake, my glory! Awake, O harp and lyre! I will awake the dawn! (Psalm 57:6-8 ESV)

Verse 5 sums up his prayer and helps David shift to praise. He’s now moving from the darkness of the cave to the light of the exit in verses 6-8. In verse 6 he describes what it felt like to be hunted: “They set a net for my steps; my was bowed down.  They dug a pit in my way…” Nets were used to trap birds and pits were dug along paths in order to trap large animals. David was threatened on every side and had no rest. He was “bowed down,” which meant that he was drooping and dragging. He didn’t know how much longer he could take it. Do you ever feel like that? You’re not sure you can handle one more problem and then two or three things happen and you feel piled.

The last part of verse 6 reveals how God made things right for David. Those who were chasing him down fell into the traps they had set for David. Saul had hunted David but David was able to sneak up on Saul. God often spoils the sinister plans of evil people. 

Because God came through for him, David is able to trust God and sing His praises. In verse 6 he is downcast and in verse 7 he is steadfast, which means to “stand erect.” Instead of being bowed down, David is now standing tall. He repeats it twice for emphasis: “My heart is steadfast, O God, my heart is steadfast…” He’s experiencing the truth of Isaiah 26:3: “You will keep in perfect peace him whose mind is steadfast, because he trusts in you.” 

Because His heart and mind is steadfast, David experiences perfect peace and is now able to break out into praise. Look at the last part of verse 7: “…I will sing and make melody.” David praises God even when his problems are pervasive. 

Bottom line - When you are in the cave of difficulty - turn your attention and heart to God who wants our mouths more than our might. He wants us to praise Him. When we do, He’ll take care of the rest. 



No comments:

Post a Comment