Friday, May 16, 2014

HAITI AND THE CHILDREN OF THE WOLRD

Orphanage In Haiti
Blessed is the one who considers the poor! In the day of trouble the Lord delivers him; (Psalm 41:1 ESV)

As many of you know I just returned from a quick trip to Haiti.  I joined 9 other pastors from across the United States who are all banding together in the effort to eradicate hunger around the world.  As Mother Theresa says, "I might not be able to feed 100 but I can at least feed 1."

I heard a story sometime ago about a little boy walking along the beach upon which thousands of starfish had been washed up during a terrible storm. When he came to each starfish, he would pick it up, and throw it back into the ocean. People watched him with amusement.

He had been doing this for some time when a man approached him and said, “Little boy, why are you doing this? Look at this beach! You can’t save all these starfish. You can’t begin to make a difference!”

The boy seemed crushed, suddenly deflated. But after a few moments, he bent down, picked up another starfish, and hurled it as far as she could into the ocean. Then he looked up at the man and replied, “Well, I made a difference to that one!”

The old man looked at the boy inquisitively and thought about what he had done and said. Inspired, he joined the little boy in throwing starfish back into the sea. Soon others joined, and all the starfish were saved.

It might be true that we will never completely eradicate being poor and being hungry but if I can try and reach at least one - that is a huge start.  May we never get so consumed with just our own needs that we forget to consider the needs of others.

The organization that I work with is Convoyofhope.org.  They feed 59,000 children a day in Haiti alone and have a waiting list of over 100,000 children. If you are a donor to them - 100% of all your donations go to the children. (Other expenses and administrative fees come through private donors).  With the "Feed One" initiative your $10.00 per month goes right to one child insuring them that they get at least 2 scoops of rice and or beans at least once a day for a month.  If you were to buy that much rice in the stores it would be probably be around $50.00 - $75.00 per month.


As I sit her this morning in my office - I feel like a "blessed man" - I have so much and want to be a blessing to others around me. If you are not or have become part of a giving program to help the children of the world - please contact me and let me help you to begin to bless some child who would not otherwise get the help that they need.  The rewards are so great.

No comments:

Post a Comment