Saturday, March 1, 2014

IS YOUR LOVE FOR GOD GROWING COLD?

“‘I know your works: you are neither cold nor hot. Would that you were either cold or hot! So, because you are lukewarm, and neither hot nor cold, I will spit you out of my mouth. For you say, I am rich, I have prospered, and I need nothing, not realizing that you are wretched, pitiable, poor, blind, and naked. I counsel you to buy from me gold refined by fire, so that you may be rich, and white garments so that you may clothe yourself and the shame of your nakedness may not be seen, and salve to anoint your eyes, so that you may see. Those whom I love, I reprove and discipline, so be zealous and repent. Behold, I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in to him and eat with him, and he with me. (Revelation 3:15-20 ESV)

Do you remember being on fire for God?  Do you remember being so hungry for God that you couldn't wait to go to church - to get into your Bible - to spend time with God in prayer?  What happened?  What has hindered you from being in that intimate place with God?  Do you find that your heart is neither hot nor cold but lukewarm?

If that is the case - you are not alone.  It is the experience of every person walking with God.  The question is - what are you going to do about it?  What steps are you going to make right now to move away from that indifference that you might feel?

THE CHURCH AT LAODICEA was neither excited for, nor antagonistic towards the Lord. They probably went to church but were mostly just going through the motions.  They were living mostly for themselves and, the sad part of it was this - they didn't even see how bad their condition was and how it "sickened" the Lord because of their luke-warmness.

  • A lukewarm Christian is one who has lost fellowship with the Lord and he needs to open the door of His heart so Christ can dwell there again.
  • A lukewarm Christian is one who will be spit out - rejected.  If you’ve ever tasted lukewarm water – you know what we mean.
  • A lukewarm Christian is one who is insensitive to their own spiritual needs.

v. 17 says that they were "wretched" and "miserable" and "poor."

Does that describe you today?  It is that feeling of being lost and destitute even if you have everything you need.  Although they were materially rich - Christ was saying that they were spiritually bankrupt.

Notice that they were "blind" - "the god of this world has blinded the minds of those that don’t believe." 2 Corinthians 4:4.

They were “naked.”  This is the opposite of those who are clothed in white garments, which always speaks of salvation.

These are the words that Jesus used to describe the people in this church who claimed to believers - but were not.  Do you think that this is a message that needs to be heard in the churches of America?

Do you think that the condition of the church and many of your hearts today would make Jesus sick?

3 Things That Need To Happen In Order For Us To Move Away From Coldness Of Heart

Christ said that if this condition is to be changed, three very necessary things must happen:

First, they must recognize their spiritual “need.”

- He says they must “buy” from Him gold refined by fire. 1 Peter 1:7 shows us that gold tested by fire is genuine faith in Him.

- He says that they must buy from Him, “white garments.”  According to Revelations 7:9, 13 that the white robes are those which have been washed in the blood of the Lamb – representing salvation.

- He says that they needed to anoint their eyes with eye salve – that they might see.

Second, they must realize why He rebukes and chastens them.

Why does He rebuke them – because He loves them and desires for them to repent.

Third, they must respond with repentance.

It is the only way, and it means a radical change in their life.

Behold, I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in to him and eat with him, and he with me. (Revelation 3:20 ESV)

This is the door the believer’s heart.  It is a picture of Jesus standing on the outside, knocking and wanting to come in.  He is longing for renewed fellowship and itimacy with you.

He is waiting for you to make that first step back to Him with a simple "I'm sorry Lord for alowing so many things to come between you and I.  I want to come back and I want my life to be on fire for God again."

With a genuine heart of repentance - you can again be back where your belong - in deep relationship with Jesus!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks to the leadership and compassion of my pastor, Bill Burnett, my passion for the Lord continues to grow daily. The REAL mission field is right outside our own front doors, and sometimes inside our homes. Praise God that His Holy Spirit resides in my heart and sharing the Good News is keeps my from becoming lukewarm.

    ReplyDelete