Wednesday, March 5, 2014

DEALING WITH THOSE WHO DON'T LIKE YOU

Very few of us experience the type of enemies that David faced - where they actually want to kill you.  But most of us would admit that there are people who absolutely grind against us and rub us the wrong way - or is it that you grind against them and rub them the wrong way.  Either way - it makes life a little difficult at times.

Saul had sent an armed guard to his house that they might seize and kill him. Notice how David describes how Saul is treating him.

Deliver me from my enemies, O my God; protect me from those who rise up against me; deliver me from those who work evil, and save me from bloodthirsty men. (Psalm 59:1, 2 ESV)

How did David handle this situation? 

1- David prays for deliverance from "those who work evil' and from "bloodthirsty men" - v.1.

2- David prays for help from a faithful God - vv. 9-10

O my Strength, I will watch for you, for you, O God, are my fortress. My God in his steadfast love will meet me; God will let me look in triumph on my enemies. (Psalm 59:9, 10 ESV)

He expects God to rise up on his behalf.  He has a faith that God would be his fortress.

3- David praises God for God's strength and love - v. 16.

But I will sing of your strength; I will sing aloud of your steadfast love in the morning. For you have been to me a fortress and a refuge in the day of my distress. O my Strength, I will sing praises to you, for you, O God, are my fortress, the God who shows me steadfast love. (Psalm 59:16, 17 ESV)

This was in reference to God's power and mercy.  He/you/I need God's strength to get through some of the trials we face.  We also need God's mercy to get us through this trial.  And, quite honestly, we need to pray for God's mercy for the people who are treating us in an evil way.  Without the mercy of God - where would any of us be?

4- He would praise him because he had been his defense and fortress many times before - v.17.

God brings his people into trouble, that they may experience his power and mercy in protecting and sheltering them, and may have occasion to praise him.

V. 17 shows us HOW DAVID PRAISED GOD.  It is also an example of how we should praise God in the midst of the trial that surrounds us.

1- He sang- This is a natural expression of joy.

2- He sang aloud

3- He sang in the morning - when his spirits were most fresh and alive.  God's compassions are "new every morning."  It is the fitting way to start your day.

4- He sang unto unto God - v.17 - to honor and glorify God.

Over and over in the Bible we see men who were being attacked or were under severe persecution (Jehoshaphat/ David/ Paul/ Job, etc)  They were up against a wall or in a situation that was beyond them and their abilities to get out.  What did they do - they began to praise God.  They looked to God for their strength.  They surrendered their situation to the God of mercy and strength - they looked to God for their help.

Perhaps you are dealing with a person or persons who are making life uncomfortable for you right now.  Surrender to God.  Give Him praise for helping you in the past. Trust Him to bring resolution.  Give Him glory for answering your prayer.

No comments:

Post a Comment