Wednesday, March 12, 2014

PSALMS OF DISTRESS

In reading and meditating through the Psalms one begins to realize how many of the Psalms dealt with the distress that David was going through - being chased by Saul and his soldiers and the discontent of the people he was leading.  Over and over David calls out for deliverance and help from God and it seems that one moment he is overwhelmed and the next moment he has complete confidence in God.  It is much like what most of us experience in our lives - the ups and downs of faith and frustration.  We often feel like we're the only ones that go through conflict and stress but in reality it is something that happens to all of us.

Read through the following Psalms and you will see some of what David was feeling and experiencing in his life - Palsm 7, 27, 31, 34, 52, 56, 120, 140, 141 & 142.

Notice some of these highlight about the stress and distress that David was going through...

O Lord my God, in you do I take refuge; save me from all my pursuers and deliver me, lest like a lion they tear my soul apart, rending it in pieces, with none to deliver. (Psalm 7:1, 2 ESV)

When evildoers assail me to eat up my flesh, my adversaries and foes, it is they who stumble and fall. (Psalm 27:2 ESV)

Be gracious to me, O Lord, for I am in distress; my eye is wasted from grief; my soul and my body also. (Psalm 31:9 ESV)

Many are the afflictions of the righteous, but the Lord delivers him out of them all. (Psalm 34:19 ESV)

Why do you boast of evil, O mighty man? The steadfast love of God endures all the day. Your tongue plots destruction, like a sharp razor, you worker of deceit. You love evil more than good, and lying more than speaking what is right. Selah You love all words that devour, O deceitful tongue. But God will break you down forever; he will snatch and tear you from your tent; he will uproot you from the land of the living. Selah (Psalm 52:1-5 ESV)

Be gracious to me, O God, for man tramples on me; all day long an attacker oppresses me; (Psalm 56:1 ESV)

In my distress I called to the Lord, and he answered me. Deliver me, O Lord, from lying lips, from a deceitful tongue. (Psalm 120:1, 2 ESV)

Deliver me, O Lord, from evil men; preserve me from violent men, who plan evil things in their heart and stir up wars continually. They make their tongue sharp as a serpent’s, and under their lips is the venom of asps. Selah Guard me, O Lord, from the hands of the wicked; preserve me from violent men, who have planned to trip up my feet. (Psalm 140:1-4 ESV)

But my eyes are toward you, O God, my Lord; in you I seek refuge; leave me not defenseless! Keep me from the trap that they have laid for me and from the snares of evildoers! Let the wicked fall into their own nets, while I pass by safely. (Psalm 141:8-10 ESV)

Attend to my cry, for I am brought very low! Deliver me from my persecutors, for they are too strong for me! Bring me out of prison, that I may give thanks to your name! The righteous will surround me, for you will deal bountifully with me. (Psalm 142:6, 7 ESV)

These are just a sampling of the prayers that David prayed.  He identifies the difficulty over and over but is never far from the fact that God is near and ready to bring the needed help and deliverance.

With confidence David can say:

You have kept count of my tossings; put my tears in your bottle. Are they not in your book? (Psalm 56:8 ESV)

God knows exactly what you are going through and will bring the need help for those who cry out to Him.  Whatever your stress or distress is today - turn it over to Jesus and call out to Him.  He is willing and ready to bring you the needed help you need for your life.

No comments:

Post a Comment