Monday, March 17, 2014

FINDING GOD IN THE WILDERNESS

One of the places of great interest to me is the wilderness of Judah in Israel.  I've been there a number of times and am always amazed at just how barren this area can be. There are no trees and very little vegetation.  The topography is rough and difficult to traverse in many places.  Other than flashfloods that come during the very short rainy season - it gets no water at all.  A few years ago I was there and it was probably 115 degrees in heat and miserable.  It is a true wilderness.  

Yet, this is the place where David finds himself as he was fleeing his son Absolam and other enemies - in the wilderness, alone and away from those he loved.  It was the place of  hiding with those who surrounded him.

What is interesting is this - he didn't lose his faith just because his life was falling apart.  He didn't stop worshipping just because he was in a wilderness experience. David stuck to his disciplines and worshipped God in spite of his circumstances.  In fact, the place where he found his life drew him even more to find God in the midst of his trial.

The wilderness is often the place where most of us find God.  Moses, Elijah, David, Paul and many others found God in the wilderness.  It is where you also will end at some point in your life.  God tells us in His Word that He is found in the dark places, the places of trial and the place of difficulty.

In the midst of this wilderness experience David called out to God and found that He was very near.  Psalm 63 records that experience of David.

Notice the use of the word "soul" in this Psalm.  It helps one to understand the divisions of the Psalm and what was going on in David's heart.

  • Psalm 63:1-4 My soul THIRSTS for God

O God, you are my God; earnestly I seek you; my soul thirsts for you; my flesh faints for you, as in a dry and weary land where there is no water. So I have looked upon you in the sanctuary, beholding your power and glory. Because your steadfast love is better than life, my lips will praise you. So I will bless you as long as I live; in your name I will lift up my hands. (Psalm 63:1-4 ESV)

In the midst of the wilderness experience - David was thirsty for God.  Just as he was thirsty for water in the wilderness - he was also thirsty for God's presence in the wilderness of his soul.

  • Psalm 63:5-7 My soul is SATISFIED in God

My soul will be satisfied as with fat and rich food, and my mouth will praise you with joyful lips, when I remember you upon my bed, and meditate on you in the watches of the night; for you have been my help, and in the shadow of your wings I will sing for joy. (Psalm 63:5-7 ESV)

Somehow David found great joy and satisfaction at being in the presence of God.  He knew that he was safe in the arms of his God.

  • Psalm 63:8 My soul CLINGS HARD after God

My soul clings to you; your right hand upholds me. (Psalm 63:8 ESV)

David determined to "cling to God" - that he would hold on no matter what he was going through.

I pray that all reading this would find peace in whatever wilderness you find yourself in.  God has not left you but is ever present to answer those who call out to Him.  Worship Him even when things are not going your way.  Your God loves you so much and wants to hide and protect you "under His wing."

No comments:

Post a Comment