Monday, March 10, 2014

HE RESTORES MY SOUL

The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want. He makes me lie down in green pastures. He leads me beside still waters. He restores my soul. He leads me in paths of righteousness for his name’s sake. Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me. You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies; you anoint my head with oil; my cup overflows. Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life, and I shall dwell in the house of the Lord forever. (Psalm 23:1-6 ESV)

Perhaps there is no other passage that stirs our soul as Psalm 23 does.  It is probably the most read of passages and most requested of those who are going through troubling time.

In Phillip Keller's book "A Shepherd Looks At the 23rd Psalm" he helps us understand the life of sheep through the eyes of a shepherd.  The book is a classic and one that I've referred back to many times in my journey as a pastor.

One phrase that always jumps out to me is "He restores my soul."  Phillip Keller comments on a "cast" or "cast down" sheep. A cast sheep is one that has turned over on its back and is unable to get up again by itself. This condition is not uncommon among pregnant sheep. Unless the shepherd keeps diligent watch over his flock, a cast sheep will die or fall victim to predators. The shepherd must "restore" such sheep. He must help the cast sheep to get back on its feet again and regain its equilibrium.

This is not unlike many of us - we have found our lives topsy turvy and and upside down.  We have gotten off track and are helpless to do anything about it.  We need our shepherd/ our God to come and pick us up and place us on our feet again.

Someone might wonder how we would get in that position in the first place.  It could be because of sin but also it could be just because of the wear and tear of life.  We find ourselves weary and worn and in need of the comforting hands of our shepherd.

Read through these verses and allow the Holy Spirit to speak to your soul...

Jeremiah 30:17 ESV For I will restore health to you, and your wounds I will heal, declares the Lord, because they have called you an outcast: ‘It is Zion, for whom no one cares!’

Joel 2:25-26 ESV I will restore to you the years that the swarming locust has eaten, the hopper, the destroyer, and the cutter, my great army, which I sent among you. “You shall eat in plenty and be satisfied, and praise the name of the Lord your God, who has dealt wondrously with you. And my people shall never again be put to shame.

Psalm 51:12 ESV Restore to me the joy of your salvation, and uphold me with a willing spirit.

Perhaps you are in need of restoration in your life today.  Then, allow God to reach down and minister His grace to you and be healed in your mind, body and soul.

I waited patiently for the Lord; he inclined to me and heard my cry. He drew me up from the pit of destruction, out of the miry bog, and set my feet upon a rock, making my steps secure. He put a new song in my mouth, a song of praise to our God. Many will see and fear, and put their trust in the Lord. (Psalm 40:1-3 ESV)

No comments:

Post a Comment