Thursday, December 26, 2013

TABLETS, COMPUTERS, SMART PHONES AND THE WORD OF GOD

I was laying in bed this morning and thinking about all the people who got a digitized device for Christmas and the many tools that are now connected with those items to enhance the Word Of God in our lives.

Communication has changed over the years in vast ways and the delivery of the Word Of God has adapted just as quickly.

In the beginning (no pun intended) God "spoke" the word and it was done.  It's how the earth was created and its how he spoke to man.  God walked and spoke to Adam and Eve in the Garden.  And, for a number years - the "speaking" was sufficient for man to hear God's Word.

As languages were developed and as words began to be written - God then wrote the first TABLET called THE TEN COMMANDMENTS.  These were God's Words written on stone.  

As life evolved the word of God was put onto animal skins and eventually parchment for the preservation of time.  This led to the printing on paper which we still have today.

It is written with every age level and language level in mind.  When I was a young father - one of the joys I had was reading the Bible in picture form to my daughters every night.

But things are changing.  With the digitalization of computers, tablets and smart phones - the Bible is now changing again.  Youversion.com is downloading more Bibles now than have ever been printed over all of time.  Over 20 million downloads have taken place on over 50 million devices.  More and more - when I ask people to turn in their Bibles - many are taking out their devices and can instantly turn to the passage and switch to whatever version I'm using or in the language of their choosing.  They even now have a children's version with visuals for them to see what you are reading.

It used to be that commentaries were only available to pastors and leaders of a church but now they are available at your fingertips.  Go to Blueletterbible.org and utlize all the commentaries and word studies that I've used for years - but at the touch of your fingers.

Do you want to hear the word of God?  Youversion.com allows you to even listen to the Word Of God.  Or, it you would like to listen to it dramatic form go to Bible.is. This is a favorite of mine.

I like what God spoke to Mary - "No Word Of God will ever fail" (Luke 1:37).  

Isaiah also spoke these words...

So shall my word be that goes out from my mouth; it shall not return to me empty, but it shall accomplish that which I purpose, and shall succeed in the thing for which I sent it. (Isaiah 55:11 ESV)

I really believe that we need to use all the technology possible to bring people to Christ.  We need to be on the cutting edge and allow the Holy Spirit to take the Word Of God to every heart.

P.S.  If you would like to receive my weekly sermons - send me your name and email and I will gladly do that.  Also, if you need help in setting up your device - I am more than willing to help or loan you a young teenager who "gets it."  They would be glad to sit with and help you get set up.

No comments:

Post a Comment