Monday, June 1, 2015

MEETING GOD IN THE MORNING


I rise early, before the sun is up; I cry out for help and put my hope in your words. I stay awake through the night, thinking about your promise. (‭Psalms‬ ‭119‬:‭147-148‬ NLT)

Ever since I was little I have been a morning person.  I don't know if it was because my parents were or if it is just the way I'm wired.

I hardly remember a time when I got up that I didn't see my parents on their knees seeking the Lord in prayer.

There is something about the quietness and the freshness of early morning that just connects my spirit with God.

My mornings start early.  Even before my feet hit the floor I am in precious communion with the Lord as I am waking up.  Scriptures come to mind.  Prayers go forth. Songs flood my thoughts.

I treasure these moments as they are times when God directs my day and helps me with the decisions I must make and refreshes my soul.

In this passage - the Psalmist David spoke of waking early to seek God in prayer which accompanied by placing hope in His Word.

When I join my prayers with God's Word something transforms within me.

The Word Of God shows me:

  • The very nature and heart of the God we pray to.
  • What we have received from God and what we should thank Him for.
  • His greatness that sends my heart into His praise.
  • His moral will which directs us to pray that we can do it.
  • His promises to His people which we claim by faith.

"He who is diligent in prayer will never be destitute of hope. Observe that as the early bird gets the worm, so the early prayer is soon refreshed with hope." (Spurgeon)

Jesus sometimes prayed early in the morning - "Before daybreak the next morning, Jesus got up and went out to an isolated place to pray." (‭Mark‬ ‭1‬:‭35‬ NLT)

 And, on some occasions Jesus prayed all night (Luke 6:12).

Sometimes, when sleep is eluding me my prayers go through the night to meet the morning rays of sunshine on the next day.

O God, you are my God; I earnestly search for you. My soul thirsts for you; my whole body longs for you in this parched and weary land where there is no water. (‭Psalms‬ ‭63‬:‭1‬ NLT)

Listen to my voice in the morning, LORD. Each morning I bring my requests to you and wait expectantly. (‭Psalms‬ ‭5‬:‭3‬ NLT)

This doesn't mean that God only answers prayers in the mornings.  Some of you are night owls and your prayer times are at night.

The bottom line is this - whatever is your best time of your day should be your prayer time.

Having said that - there is something special about beginning your day in communion with our heavenly Father getting instructions for that day.  It is so important to start your day with God.

One last thing - People ask me what is the key to an early morning prayer life.  The answer is simple - "Go to bed early!"  

No comments:

Post a Comment