Friday, June 5, 2015

HOW TO BE WISE IN LIFE


So don’t bother correcting mockers; they will only hate you. But correct the wise, and they will love you. Instruct the wise, and they will be even wiser. Teach the righteous, and they will learn even more. Fear of the LORD is the foundation of wisdom. Knowledge of the Holy One results in good judgment. Wisdom will multiply your days and add years to your life. If you become wise, you will be the one to benefit. If you scorn wisdom, you will be the one to suffer. (‭Proverbs‬ ‭9‬:‭8-12‬ NLT)

All of us have key prayers that we pray on an ongoing basis.  It might be for a certain person or a situation that surrounds your life.  

For me, there is a prayer that I pray all the time.  In fact, I think that I prayed it since I was a little boy.  It is this: "God, give me wisdom beyond my years and help me be wise in the things of the Lord.  Help me to make good and healthy decisions for my life."

As I grew into adulthood, the prayed grew into, "God, help me to make good decisions over my family and my church.

I know a lot of people who are filled with knowledge over just about everything and yet don't have the wisdom to deal with the practical things of life.

To not have wisdom in your life can bring disastrous results.  Bad decisions (being out of God's will) can cost you time, money and energy.

V.10 states that "The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom." When you begin to fear him who is over you that’s when you begin to get smart!

If children have a good father, it pays to listen to him and fear him in a certain way. I loved my father but I also literally feared him at times and that wasn’t a bad thing! I needed to fear him because I did some dumb things at times.

My dad was a man of great wisdom and instilled strong values in each of his children. He taught us about hard work and honesty by the way he lived. 

It’s always smart to fear him who is over you, especially when he is living for your good. That holds true for fathers, bosses, spiritual leaders and most certainly, our God!

Let's take a simple wisdom test. If you can answer yes to each question, you are a wise person. 

A WISDOM TEST

  • Are you teachable?
  • Are you willing to be corrected?
  • Do you gratefully accept a considered rebuke?

If someone criticizes you, ask God, "Is there truth in what has been said?" If there is, heed it, and you will be wiser still! 

A wise man appreciates criticism. Author Norman Vincent Peale said that the trouble with us is that we would rather be destroyed by compliments than saved by criticism. Most people would rather hear compliments than the instruction and wisdom of criticism. 

The reason for obtaining wisdom is given in verse 11. "For by me your days will be multiplied, and years of life will be added to you."

The TLB translates the verse this way. "I, Wisdom, will make the hours of your day more profitable, and the years of your life more fruitful."

Life is the result of the fear of the Lord which lead you to walk in His ways, the ways of wisdom. The multiplication of days may mean length of life but much more is intended. It is the enabling to get much life lived in your hours. Without wisdom life is not properly invested or redeemed.

Look at v.12 again...

If you become wise, you will be the one to benefit. If you scorn wisdom, you will be the one to suffer. (‭Proverbs‬ ‭9‬:‭12‬ NLT)

During the years I have been a pastor, I have seen many confirmations of that truth (Ga. 6:1). The wise who received correction reaped personal blessing. but those who scoffed tended to harvest personal pain and grief. And that return is not only in the here and now.

So my prayer is this... "Lord, I want to be a wise person. Give me a correctable mind. Let me realize that a proof of Your wise love is how I handle reproof."

Someone has said that reproof received is like God's spot remover. It removes more than spots from our character. These corrected or repented of faults are put under the blood so that they are removed from us. Christ's death on the cross gives us the power to apply the blood and change our character. Are you taking full advantage of the life He gave to you. He asks us to redeem the time in wisdom for the days are evil.

Are you a mocker or a wise person? You can tell by the way you respond to criticism. Instead of tossing back a quick put down or clever retort when rebuked, listen to what is being said. Learn from your critics; this is the path to wisdom. Wisdom begins with knowing God. He gives insight into living because He created life. To know God is not just to know the facts about Him, but to stand in awe of Him and have relationship with him. Do you really want to be wise? Get to know God better and better.

No comments:

Post a Comment