Monday, January 13, 2014

TAKING THE HIGH ROAD IN RELATIONSHIPS - PART 3

THE POWER OF INTEGRITY

Whoever walks in integrity walks securely, but whoever takes crooked paths will be found out. (Proverbs 10:9 NIV)

One of the values that has been ingrained in my life is the value of integgrity.  It is a value that has become a moral compass for every decision that I make in life.  

If you were to define integrity it would be this way:  The quality of being honest and having strong moral principles; moral uprightness.  

Synonyms: honesty, honor, good character, principle(s), ethics, morals, righteousness, morality, virtue, decency, fairness, scrupulousness, sincerity, truthfulness, trustworthiness 

I know, my God, that you test the heart and are pleased with integrity...1 Chronicles 29:17 NIV)

Over the years I have had many opportunities to take the low road in relationships and business dealings.  I've always been taught that we need to "do what is right and God will do what is best" and I've tried to live by that creed in all my life's dealings.  We have to do what is right and leave the consequences in God's hands.

There is a story in Genesis 20 that talks about two men and their approach to a situation.  Abraham, taking the low road, chose to lie about who his wife was.  He introduced her as his sister.  King Abimilech, not knowing the truth about her tried to "hook up with her."  But because Abimilech was a man of integrity - God spared him.  He even says, "Lord, I did this in the integrity of my heart." (Genesis 20:5).  Because of his integrity - God spared him from making a drastic mistake.  Notice what v. 6 says:

Then God said to him in the dream, “Yes, I know that you have done this in the integrity of your heart, and it was I who kept you from sinning against me. Therefore I did not let you touch her. (Genesis 20:6 ESV)

May I encourage you today to walk in integrity with every decision you make and every person you come in contact with.  Remember that you represent Christ and His kingdom always.  Walking in integrity is more important than having all the riches of this world at your discposal.  Your good name means everything.  Your integrity defines you both for now and in the future.  Trust God to do the best thing for you as you do the right thing for Him now.  You will be glad you did.

A good name is to be chosen rather than great riches, and favor is better than silver or gold. (Proverbs 22:1 ESV)

No comments:

Post a Comment