Wednesday, September 11, 2013

When God Says No

When God Says No

Paul and his companions traveled throughout the region of Phrygia and Galatia, having been kept by the Holy Spirit from preaching the word in the province of Asia. When they came to the border of Mysia, they tried to enter Bithynia, but the Spirit of Jesus would not allow them to. So they passed by Mysia and went down to Troas. During the night Paul had a vision of a man of Macedonia standing and begging him, “Come over to Macedonia and help us.” After Paul had seen the vision, we got ready at once to leave for Macedonia, concluding that God had called us to preach the gospel to them. (Acts 16:6-10 NIV)

Paul and his companions were traveling around the country and having an unusual and successful season of ministry.  Everywhere they went - people's lives were touched and delivered and churches were started in many places.  Then God said no.  As they prepared to go to Bithynia - "the Spirit of Jesus would not allow them to"go to Bithynia. We don't know the reason but immediately we see that Paul received a vision in the night to go a different direction - to Macedonia.  I wonder how many of us get so caught up in our successes and even just the daily routine of life that we don't heed the Holy Spirit's warnings in our lives - that... we don't listen to His promptings about whether something is from God or not.  Is it possible today that you've got so busy that you are not responding to that tug in your heart about the direction and decisions that you are about to make.  Recently someone offered to give me a nice motorcycle.  At first, all I could see was the picture of me going down the road with the wind in my face looking really cool.  I entertained that thought for a bit ignoring the tugging on my heart from the Holy Spirit.  I kept saying, "That's not from God.  It can't be from Him."  But as I got over the excitement I started to listen to what the little voice from God was actually saying - "This is not for you."  As hard as it was, I had to turn down the offer knowing that I would rather listen to what the Holy Spirit was saying rather than what my flesh wanted and desired.  I would challenge you today to open up your heart to God's voice that is always speaking "yes" or "no" about a whole bunch of things that influence you and those around you.  People tell me often that they never hear God's voice speaking to them.  Could it be, that in reality, you are not really listening.  God is speaking to you and He is wanting to have more influence over each and every decision you make but you just aren't listening.  I would challenge you today to be intentional about listening to that ever so quiet and gentle voice from God Himself.  Don't wait until He has to shout His instructions to you to warn about the danger ahead.  Instead, listen for that quiet and tender voice that speaks over every situation that you face today.

No comments:

Post a Comment