Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Rejoicing In My Weakness

But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me. (2 Corinthians 12:9 ESV)

Regardless of your circumstances - God's grace is always present to help you with whatever you are dealing with.  It is interesting that weakness is the platform for God to emerge strong in our lives. I've often wondered "why" I'm wired the way I am and "why" certain things bother me and other things don't.  I wonder "why" God would put me in certain situations when He knows that I get anxious and nervous with that type of problem.  Knowing that "He knows" puts my mind at ease but I still at times try to handle the situation in my strength rather than His.  His desire is that I would allow the power of Christ to rest on and through me and that I would not try to work it out in my strenght - as weak as it may be.  1 & 2 Corinthians is filled with a number of contrasts between weakness and strength that we need to look at...

  • 1 Cor. 1:25- The weakness of God is stronger than man
  • 1 Cor. 12:27 - God chose what is weak to shame the strong
  • 1 Cor. 2:3,5 - Paul didn't come in "weakness and fear" but in the power of God
  • 1 Cor. 15:43 - What is sown in weakness will be raised in power
  • 1 Cor. 12:9 - I will boast... of my weakness so the power of Christ may rest upon me
  • 2 Cor. 13:3 - Not weak among you... but powerful among you
  • 2 Cor 13:4 - He was crucified in weakness but lives by the power of God
  • 2 Cor. 13:4 - We are also weak in him... but with him by the power of God
  • 2 Cor. 13:9 - We are glad when we are weak and you are strong



Paul has come to realize that weakness is good because it allows us to be dependent on God and Him alone.    I know that I am weak.  I know that there are areas of  life that make me more uncomfortable than others.  I also know that God didn't goof up by putting me into those types of situations.  He knows that it is when I am in those places that I will call out to Him.  Paul learned the secret - don't be afraid of your weaknesses but allow them to be the place where God will shine forth the most.

No comments:

Post a Comment