Tuesday, August 14, 2012

WHAT TYPE OF MAN OR WOMAN DO YOU WANT TO BE?

“But blessed are those who trust in the LORD and have made the LORD their hope and confidence. They are like trees planted along a riverbank, with roots that reach deep into the water. Such trees are not bothered by the heat or worried by long months of drought. Their leaves stay green, and they never stop producing fruit. (Jeremiah 17:7, 8 NLT) One of the fond memories of my childhood is that of being with my father almost every summer in the highlands of Yosemite National Park. We would go backpacking and fishing along the Merced River with absolutely breathtaking scenery. It was always amazing to walk and fish along the receded riverbanks that would show the roots of huge trees that were exposed from the spring storms and rushing streams. They were thick and long and went deep into the earth and have been exposed to every type of storms imaginable. These trees would stand tall, strong and stately. Ironically, I'm writing this in the middle of the night after attending to the medical needs of my own father whose health is deteriorating very quickly right now. Like those stately trees his roots are very exposed right now but his faith remains very strong. He is an example of what and who I want to be in life - of a man who trusted in and has had a confidence in God - a man whose roots go very deep. As I read this passage again (I suggest that you do this also) I am reminded of the type of man I want to be and the type of man I want to model to my family and even to my church and community. Storms and seasons of drought are sure to come but regardless I want to be known as the man who trusts fully in the Lord and whose roots go deep - very deep.

No comments:

Post a Comment