Saturday, January 1, 2011

Luke 2:49 (NKJV) And He said to them, "Why did you seek Me? Did you not know that I must be about My Father's business?"

People often ask me about why I do what I do. They want to know about my calling and whether I enjoy being a pastor or not. Unlike many who try many things until they find what they want to do in life – I’ve always known that this was my destiny. Some would say that I chose pastoring just because my parents we’re pastors. Now… I’m not saying that they had no influence over me but it is much deeper than that. At an early age – I was actually called by God personally into ministry. For me, it was a vision – a very real experience, a life-changing moment. It couldn’t have been more than about 6 or 7 years of age when Jesus showed up in my bedroom in the middle of the night. It was a vivid and real experience as I remember waking up to see Jesus surrounded in a very bright light standing at the foot of my bed. In His hands was a ball which I knew to be the world. He simply turned toward me and said these simple five words – “I give you the world.” Then it was over and I went back to sleep. The next morning I got up and shared the experience with my mom and I have walked in that calling my whole life. I strive every day to be “about my Father’s business” and not my own. I live each moment to serve other people and to see God’s kingdom established in my life and family. I look back now, after 56 years (57 next week) and realize that God has more than fulfilled His promises to me. He has allowed me to be in 33 countries and has allowed me to pastor some of the most amazing churches. It’s overwhelming. And, to think that He is not finished with me – my best years are ahead. John 5:19 tells us that Jesus did nothing but what He sees His Father doing. That should be the goal of each and every one of us – to keep our eyes on God the Father and to emulate Him in everything we do. I like the song that says, “I don’t know about tomorrow but I know who holds my hand.” Let’s make that our goal for 2o11 – to walk with Jesus and to keep our eyes on our Heavenly Father. It is only then that we will find God’s richest blessings and rewards in our lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment